Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would argue that Lamela is one of the better pressing midfielders. I would also say that Eriksen has been doing a better job.

You are insane. Lamela is so bad at pressing, it's comical. The worst was city away.

I mean it was his pressing that led to the goal vs the gooners. He's up there with Ginola as a LIABILITY off the ball.

Everyone has to press. If Xavi and Iniesta can press - both of whom aren't the fastest or youngest - then Eriksen can most certainly do it.
Lamela has been doing it better than anyone in our team so far. You can't just make defensive players press and let the attackers goal hang. Everyone has to press. If you don't agree then you must acknowledge that you disagree with Poch's philosophy. Pressing doesn't work if a few players aren't doing it.

They are built like tanks. Lamella is willowy.

Lamela is a Ginola, a VDV.

FFS.

Dat guy, don't turn into Cahspur and bring Barca etc legends into a spurs conversation.

They are built like tanks. Lamella is willowy.

Lamela is a Ginola, a VDV.

FFS.

Dat guy, don't turn into Cahspur and bring Barca etc legends into a spurs conversation.

Why not? Have recent history not shown that players from Spurs can walk straight into Barcelona level teams and become pretty much instant key players there? Lamela can be our next export to the absolute top level.

And the guy you are responding to is absolutely right. You don't need to be built like a tank to be pressing high up the pitch. What you need is intensity, work rate, ability to read the game. Intensity and work rate is something Lamela and Eriksen needs to put some work into, both of them have got the football brains to read the game. Both have shown glimpses of very good pressing this season. With time and practice they will become more consistent.

Why not? Have recent history not shown that players from Spurs can walk straight into Barcelona level teams and become pretty much instant key players there? Lamela can be our next export to the absolute top level.

And the guy you are responding to is absolutely right. You don't need to be built like a tank to be pressing high up the pitch. What you need is intensity, work rate, ability to read the game. Intensity and work rate is something Lamela and Eriksen needs to put some work into, both of them have got the football brains to read the game. Both have shown glimpses of very good pressing this season. With time and practice they will become more consistent.

Because making VDV do that shit RAN HIM INTO THE GROUND and he ended up with constant injuries, not being able to last 50 mins and it made us soft as shit. Because of REALITY...They are CLASSY players. Not beasts. They are on the opposite end of that scale. Pretending otherwise is a massive waste of time.

We ALREADY have players that are beasts, ENJOY that hard nosed aspect of the game and have spent a decade mastering it. AVB broke Lamela doing the same shit and now Eriksen looks like he's about to have a nervous breakdown. How do you think Lamela feels after setting one up then breaking our hearts with that soft giveaway? You think that is progress? We did the same thing to Holtby. We did the same thing to Siggy.

We need to embrace what Eriksen and Lamela have been doing for 15 years, not rip it up and pretend they can be something that takes players like Capoue etc over a decade to master.

Last edited:
Because making VDV do that shit RAN HIM INTO THE GROUND and he ended up with constant injuries, not being able to last 50 mins and it made us soft as shit. Because of REALITY...They are CLASSY players. Not beasts. They are on the opposite end of that scale. Pretending otherwise is a massive waste of time.

We ALREADY have players that are beasts, ENJOY that hard nosed aspect of the game and have spend a decade mastering it. AVB broke Lamela doing the same shit and now Eriksen looks like he's about to have a nervous breakdown. How do you think Lamela feels after setting one up then breaking our hearts with that soft giveaway? You think that is progress? We did the same thing to Holtby. We did the same thing to Siggy.

We need to embrace what Eriksen and Lamela have been doing for 15 years, not rip it up and pretend they can be something that takes players like Capoue etc over a decade to master.

Chili out, man. Just because you Caps doesn't mean you're correct.

We've not talking about these players having to turn into Capoues, that they should spend their games playing defensive wingers, or that they should injure themselves by putting in a defensive shift.

The simple facts of the matter are:
- You can't have four out of eleven players not putting in a defensive shift.
- Taking part in the high pressing game as AMs isn't the same as backtracking and defending deep into your own half (as per your Lamela example - I agree that his and Eriksens time and actions around our own box should be limit).
- Today's modern football requires that eleven players take offensive responsibility, and that eleven players take defensive responsibility.

Holtby and Sigurdsson wasn't fucked over by tactics, they simply weren't good enough.

Being classy isn't enough these days. We want Spurs to be a top class team, and then you need even your class players to be athletes who work and press hard. If Eriksen and Lamela can add that to their game, they will be twice the players they are now.

High pressing doesn't require you to be physically big, aka a Beast. It demands quickness and agility. The point is to force the opponent into an errant pass or get caught in possession, not deliver bone crunching tackles.

QPR match displayed Lamela is a very capable pressing player.

Chili out, man. Just because you Caps doesn't mean you're correct.

We've not talking about these players having to turn into Capoues, that they should spend their games playing defensive wingers, or that they should injure themselves by putting in a defensive shift.

The simple facts of the matter are:
- You can't have four out of eleven players not putting in a defensive shift.
- Taking part in the high pressing game as AMs isn't the same as backtracking and defending deep into your own half (as per your Lamela example - I agree that his and Eriksens time and actions around our own box should be limit).
- Today's modern football requires that eleven players take offensive responsibility, and that eleven players take defensive responsibility.

Holtby and Sigurdsson wasn't fucked over by tactics, they simply weren't good enough.

Being classy isn't enough these days. We want Spurs to be a top class team, and then you need even your class players to be athletes who work and press hard. If Eriksen and Lamela can add that to their game, they will be twice the players they are now.

I understand where you are coming from because I preach the athletic mantra. But It's still really funny to me that all of a sudden ole Gibbsy is not defensive enough???

Traditionally people accused me of the complete opposite because I overload the team with hulking players.

Only 2 of my team would be considered as soft players, so to counter that problem they need to be in their comfort zone in free attacking roles.

That is why in my setup you can afford to have 2 players who don't muck in. Why? Because in my team you don't have ghosts next to them like Lennon, Townsend, Soldado, Rose, Naughton, Siggy, Holtby, Defoe and other players who COMPOUND how soft Lamella and Eriksen are.

I've already been proven right. Lamela playing deep gave a goal away. Etiksen did next to nothing in the boiler room plus Ade and Chadli didn't see enough of the ball.

Plus with Lamelas assist when he was further forward shows EXACTLY where he should be. Eriksens lack of impact also suggests he's not built for being a Sherwood style "a bit of both".

Last edited:
I understand where you are coming from because I preach the athletic mantra. But It's still really funny to me that all of a sudden ole Gibbsy is not defensive enough???

Traditionally people accused me of the complete opposite because I overload the team with hulking players.

Only 2 of my team would be considered as soft players, so to counter that problem they need to be in their comfort zone in free attacking roles.

That is why in my setup you can afford to have 2 players who don't muck in. Why? Because in my team you don't have ghosts next to them like Lennon, Townsend, Soldado, Rose, Naughton, Siggy, Holtby, Defoe and other players who COMPOUND how soft Lamella and Eriksen are.

I've already been proven right. Lamela playing deep gave a goal away. Etiksen did next to nothing in the boiler room plus Ade and Chadli didn't see enough of the ball.

Plus with Lamelas assist when he was further forward shows EXACTLY where he should be. Eriksens lack of impact also suggests he's not built for being a Sherwood style bit of both.
What's your team then? Ha Ha Ha, I didn't mean that, don't bother. You've already been proved right.

Last edited:
Are you really including a performance from LAST season to judge and argue about Lamela's pressing ability (or lack-of in your case)?!

Idk mate, but that's just silly of you. Our players only started to actually learn how to press THIS season (with Poch here).

I said Poch is making the same mistakes. Hence brining up AVB era misuse of the tools we have.

It reminds me of the posters who think Lennon has a clue when it comes to defense. Often mentioning his defensive duties as a positive. Skipping alongside someone isn't defending or pressing. It's going through the motions with a token gesture. Having Siggy, Eriksen, Holtby, Townsend, Soldado, Lennon and Lamella doing this for is has done what?

Made us SOFT.

What else has it done?

Made all of the players I mentioned score a handful of prem goals in a season for us. COMBINED.

Mason, Bentaleb, Capoue, Dembele, Kane, Ade, Chadli etc can press and actually win balls in 50/50s. Them pressing/bearing down on you puts the fear of god in people and forces panic/mistakes. Having Townsend, Lennon, Naughton etc giving you all the space in the world as they prance next to you for you to cross or chip it behind them is NOT pressing or defending.

Having a Lamella in a defensive position is a false positive. Because whoever is behind him is going to get REAMED regardless of who it is and how good a defender they are.

Press this press that...we dont even press. what team have yous been watching so far. if anything we are a counter attacking team which i much rather like. just like the Arry days.

Back
Top Bottom