Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
Our 'ambition' as a club is funding the new stadium. That's a lot of dinero. We will be tightening the belt for a while to come, but we are still competing and probably field a more balanced squad than last season despite spending effectively nothing.

Levy is a great businessman. He has his faults, but we have a good overall squad this season IMO.

I guess that's the frustrating part. I don't think a lot of us are dying for a new stadium, at least that seems the consensus around here. We've always accepted it as an economic necessity but with TV money at the heights it now is, it seems like we can make ample money elsewhere.

It's a tough pill to swallow, having to accept that we will be potentially less competitive on the field for a period of time in order to replace a stadium most don't have a problem with. The place where it will be most helpful is for ENIC's potential sale of the club, which doesn't exactly benefit us.

Our 'ambition' as a club is funding the new stadium. That's a lot of dinero. We will be tightening the belt for a while to come, but we are still competing and probably field a more balanced squad than last season despite spending effectively nothing.

Levy is a great businessman. He has his faults, but we have a good overall squad this season IMO.

"We" will not be funding that, investors & sponsors will. It's what levy said from the offset .

"We" will not be funding that, investors & sponsors will. It's what levy said from the offset .
Levy says a lot of things that are sufficiently ambiguous or open to change when no-one is looking. That's his job. :levyeyes:

'We' may not be funding the new stadium itself but 'it' will be funding the fees and salaries of the players in the future, hence the need for a lean squad for a few years to come before that particular revenue stream kicks in.

But spending £50 million a season on transfers won't help the stadium scenario will it? Our net spend has been zero over the last five seasons - which means that a lot of money that the club 'earns' will go towards the stadium project

HAPPY WITH OUR TRANSFER STRATEGY ?
We have gone from VdV, Sandro, Parker, Modric and Bale in midfield, to Chadli, Capoue, Eriksen, Bentaleb and Lamela.

So I think my answer is NO!:levyeyes:

WINDOW WRAP - SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW 2014
Posted by Tottenham Hotspur on 2 September 2014 - 17:30

As the transfer window for 2014 closes, we look back on a summer of activity shaping the squad for the new season.

We welcomed Ben Davies and Michel Vorm from Swansea City, Eric Dier arrived from Sporting Lisbon, Federico Fazio joined from Sevilla and Benji Stambouli was our final arrival from Montpellier. A deal was also completed for DeAndre Yedlin to arrive from Seattle Sounders next year.

We said goodbye to Michael Dawson, Sandro, Zeki Fryers, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Heurelho Gomes, who left in order to seek increased playing opportunities, while Jake Livermore joined Hull City after a successful season-long loan and Lewis Holtby has returned to Germany, joining Hamburg on loan for the season. Tom Carroll will pick up further experience in a season-long loan in the Premier League with Swansea City.

We wish them all every success in the next stage of their careers.

In addition, Hugo Lloris, Danny Rose and Harry Kane have all signed new long-term contracts with the Club.

Head Coach Mauricio Pochettino discusses the Club's business we conducted over the summer period.

"I have always felt from the beginning that we did not need to make big changes to this squad," said Mauricio.

"We believe in these players, they are great professionals and I am convinced of the quality we have in all areas.

"We were always certain that we would only make changes if we believed they would benefit us in the long-term.

"It is still early in the season and players are adapting to our style and tactics and I have been delighted with their response.

"We believe we can improve these players to get the best out of them and we are going the right way.

"We were keen to strengthen our defence and I have been pleased with the way we have improved across this area.

"Michel Vorm will provide additional strength to our goalkeepers alongside Hugo Lloris, Brad Friedel and Luke McGee and we look forward to having him back at full fitness soon.

"Ben Davies arrives as a young player with a wealth of experience already in the Premier League and we now have two outstanding, internationals vying for the left-back position. I’m sure they will be motivated to improve each other.

"Eric Dier is a versatile and young player and we feel he has a lot of potential. We have followed him for some time and we think he can develop into a top defender.

"Federico Fazio is an excellent signing for us - a positive influence both on and off the field. He is a big and strong defender and will give us something extra in terms of presence, aggression and will to win.

"Benji Stambouli offers us versatility as well as quality. He knows what it takes to win and will prove a tremendous addition in both defensive midfield and also in defence if needed.

"We can also look forward to DeAndre Yedlin joining us next year. He has shown he can perform at the highest level with his performances at the World Cup and he will strengthen us further in the future.

"We want to deliver exciting, attacking and pressing football and the range of forwards we have are extremely well-equipped to work within this system. We have quality and versatility in these areas so we are confident that they can play anywhere across the front line when called upon.

“We have quality throughout what is a balanced, talented squad."

I voted yes, but my real answer would be, "really didn't expect anymore"

New stadium aside, there's a whole load of other factors...

We blew a shit tonne of money last season - yes it's a net spend but all those new players, all that money guarenteed nothing and it's yet to come good.
Levy is a smart man, he's not gonna blow a load more and add to the problem especially when Pochetino could go the same way of Tim, AVB etc..

Since 1992 we've had 21 managerial changes (including temporary appointments) 21

I think Levy has listened (a bit lol) and learnt and realises (especially in light of the impending new stadium - and load it will put on everyone structurally and financially) that stability is key and he's going to give Mario a fair crack of the whip, give him time to proove his metal but without the pressure of extra top 4 and pressure of mega buys.

Levy "Ok Mario, lets see what you can do with this under performing squad. Get us playing football, let me see you working us as a team and then we can talk more next season"

"I have always felt from the beginning that we did not need to make big changes to this squad," said Mauricio.

Translated

"The reason I got the job and not Frank is that the chairman thought we should get the value from the 110M of signings made last year rather than making further big signings and potentally having more disruption and devaluing of those players we have not seen play to potential. He saw that at southampton I got the very best out of players, who have all gone for a fortune, and hopes I can do the same again"

I would like to think there is a happy medium between being tighter than a duck's arse and going down the route of Pompey and Leeds.

Surely the likes of Huntelaar would have been a possibility without breaking the bank. As for the whole Leeds thing, didn't Seth Johnston sum that up to a tee?

I honestly don't understand why everyone's so negative. We strengthened our defence, which was one of our main problem areas last season. I thought most people were happy about Poch's appointment because he brings the best out of players, so how about we wait and see what he he brings out of the likes of Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Bentaleb, Davies, Dier, Soldado, Kane, Paulinho, Capoue, etc. and stop moaning about the fact we didn't splash a shitload of money on worldclass players like the teams above us. We've got so much potential quality already and I believe Poch can do very well with what we've got. Also, before everyone starts moaning about how shit our signings are and that were doomed for mid-table, why don't we just wait and see how they're doing when we've actually seen them play instead of just judging them straight away? Just give the man some time to do what he did with Southampton!

I think generally its the concern that when Townsends playing there is no safety netting for the people in the crowd. Particularly for the people in the back row of the upper tier in Park Lane and Paxton

Minimum of a house crash helmet for people around the corner flags.

WINDOW WRAP - SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW 2014
Posted by Tottenham Hotspur on 2 September 2014 - 17:30

As the transfer window for 2014 closes, we look back on a summer of activity shaping the squad for the new season.

We welcomed Ben Davies and Michel Vorm from Swansea City, Eric Dier arrived from Sporting Lisbon, Federico Fazio joined from Sevilla and Benji Stambouli was our final arrival from Montpellier. A deal was also completed for DeAndre Yedlin to arrive from Seattle Sounders next year.

We said goodbye to Michael Dawson, Sandro, Zeki Fryers, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Heurelho Gomes, who left in order to seek increased playing opportunities, while Jake Livermore joined Hull City after a successful season-long loan and Lewis Holtby has returned to Germany, joining Hamburg on loan for the season. Tom Carroll will pick up further experience in a season-long loan in the Premier League with Swansea City.

We wish them all every success in the next stage of their careers.

In addition, Hugo Lloris, Danny Rose and Harry Kane have all signed new long-term contracts with the Club.

Head Coach Mauricio Pochettino discusses the Club's business we conducted over the summer period.

"We believe in these players, they are great professionals and I am convinced of the quality we have in all areas.

"We were always certain that we would only make changes if we believed they would benefit us in the long-term.

"It is still early in the season and players are adapting to our style and tactics and I have been delighted with their response.

"We believe we can improve these players to get the best out of them and we are going the right way.

"We were keen to strengthen our defence and I have been pleased with the way we have improved across this area.

"Michel Vorm will provide additional strength to our goalkeepers alongside Hugo Lloris, Brad Friedel and Luke McGee and we look forward to having him back at full fitness soon.

"Ben Davies arrives as a young player with a wealth of experience already in the Premier League and we now have two outstanding, internationals vying for the left-back position. I’m sure they will be motivated to improve each other.

"Eric Dier is a versatile and young player and we feel he has a lot of potential. We have followed him for some time and we think he can develop into a top defender.

"Federico Fazio is an excellent signing for us - a positive influence both on and off the field. He is a big and strong defender and will give us something extra in terms of presence, aggression and will to win.

"Benji Stambouli offers us versatility as well as quality. He knows what it takes to win and will prove a tremendous addition in both defensive midfield and also in defence if needed.

"We can also look forward to DeAndre Yedlin joining us next year. He has shown he can perform at the highest level with his performances at the World Cup and he will strengthen us further in the future.

"We want to deliver exciting, attacking and pressing football and the range of forwards we have are extremely well-equipped to work within this system. We have quality and versatility in these areas so we are confident that they can play anywhere across the front line when called upon.

“We have quality throughout what is a balanced, talented squad."

Beautiful words from Poch....its like he just took out his cock and slapped it across some of our fans silly little faces...

A manager who seems to really believe in our policy. Great to hear.

I don't mind this policy, when push comes to shove, I'd just rather we ended all this talk of Champions League, titles and cups and all. Cringey to the bone. We clearly have no such ambition.

Just take the Poch interview from above and couple it with an honest "we aim to play the best possible football, and see where it'll take" sort of official club vision. Would be refreshing and honest. No more BS.

Back
Top Bottom