January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rested in pursuit of a much needed goal? :dembelewtf:

I wouldn't mind another striker though but we're in a difficult situation on that one. It's hard finding a player willing to warm the bench most of the time who's still good enough to make a difference when called upon.
It a luxurious problem. We either have a youngster who is good enough to do the business when called upon but has the expectations of a young player breaking through. Or we get in a quality veteran striker without the expectation of competing for Kane's place.

The other alternative is a player who is versatile enough to play in a number of roles including striker and can therefore fill in for Kane when he's unavailable.

Note: Big Vinny J is none of these things. Sack the cunt. He has shamed his house

What ever way you look at it.
Most would say 1 season isn't enough to judge.
But part of a managers job is to make short judgement calls.

If I said get rid of janssen based on this season.
I'd get tons of disagrees saying it's not enough time to judge.
But if poch gets rid of him in the summer, most will suddenly say it's the right call.
Njie is a good example of that.

N'jie isn't a good example of that.

For all that has been revealed, he had a difficult first season adapting, and had injuries, but was well regarded.

Marseille insisted on having him on loan in order for us to buy N'koudou. Our resistance in accepting this was, apparently, what held up the deal for so long.

N'jie isn't a good example of that.

For all that has been revealed, he had a difficult first season adapting, and had injuries, but was well regarded.

Marseille insisted on having him on loan in order for us to buy N'koudou. Our resistance in accepting this was, apparently, what held up the deal for so long.
Yes, but if poch thought he was going to be really good for us then he wouldn't have let him go.
Especially for N'koudou who was hardly a well sought after player.
I just don't think poch thought njie was going to be good enough.
Let's agree to disagree on that!

Yes, but if poch thought he was going to be really good for us then he wouldn't have let him go.
Especially for N'koudou who was hardly a well sought after player.
I just don't think poch thought njie was going to be good enough.
Let's agree to disagree on that!

He's still a spurs player - not past tense.

He's still a spurs player - not past tense.
You think he will be rejoining us next season? I very much doubt that. But you could be right.
But let's wait & see......

Ps. I thought they were expected to buy him at the end of the season.

Or bringing on another striker to support him when we need a goal.
As we now have the benefit of hindsight, what games exactly would have done that. Who would you have bought on (name the savour) and who would you have taken off to make way for him. I assume you are also going for a 4-4-2 as well?

I have allready asked a similar question about who the savour is but oddly have yet to get a reply.

As we now have the benefit of hindsight, what games exactly would have done that. Who would you have bought on (name the savour) and who would you have taken off to make way for him. I assume you are also going for a 4-4-2 as well?

I have allready asked a similar question about who the savour is but oddly have yet to get a reply.
No, you're right. There is no possibility another good striker option would have helped us at all last season.

I think you are looking at it all wrong.
No one knows if we would have been better, worse or the same with another good striker option. So it can't be proved.
Some of us just think we would have been better with another good striker option & also kane would have benefited from more rest.
You obviously don't.

The fact poch paid 17m for another striker makes me think he felt the same.

No, you're right. There is no possibility another good striker option would have helped us at all last season.

I think you are looking at it all wrong.
No one knows if we would have been better, worse or the same with another good striker option. So it can't be proved.
Some of us just think we would have been better with another good striker option & also kane would have benefited from more rest.
You obviously don't.

The fact poch paid 17m for another striker makes me think he felt the same.
As I posted earlier though Scott, we did rest Kane, he hardly featured in EL, played one full game in FA Cup, he was rested.

It's fine to say we needed another, this I do not disagree with. I challenged the notion that had we got a striker last Jan that we would have won the league. I think that is utter bollocks. That is my objection and I gave reasons for it supporting my view.

We failed to win the title because a number of players were knackered by the run-in and just didn't believe they could win it.
Hopefully different this year.
Who to buy? A lot of January transfers don't work out, and are overpriced. The transfer market looks batshit crazy inflated right now. New players can also disrupt the feel-good-vibes in the squad.
Maybe a centre back? But then the Cup runs might allow Dier and Wimmer to gain some practice in form and come in as cover for Toby or Jan in the 1st side.

I don't understand why anyone would want to have yet another post-mortem on last season but I thought the title went (in hindsight) when we lost at Upton Park and threw away a lead at home to Woolwich. The draws against Albion and Chelsea were poor but we weren't catching Leicester anyway.

I don't understand why anyone would want to have yet another post-mortem on last season but I thought the title went (in hindsight) when we lost at Upton Park and threw away a lead at home to Woolwich. The draws against Albion and Chelsea were poor but we weren't catching Leicester anyway.
You have to learn from your mistakes. We blew a golden opportunity last season, so it would be stupid not to understand why we failed to win it last year and feed that into transfer decisions (along with training methods, squad rotation decisions, whether to ditch one of the Cups).
The title was lost at home vs the Scum. Whether it was the pressure or fatigue, only the players will know. But yes, the analysis can be done to death, and no point pondering on it too much if it starts to become an obsession.

As I posted earlier though Scott, we did rest Kane, he hardly featured in EL, played one full game in FA Cup, he was rested.

It's fine to say we needed another, this I do not disagree with. I challenged the notion that had we got a striker last Jan that we would have won the league. I think that is utter bollocks. That is my objection and I gave reasons for it supporting my view.
I think we would have been better with another striker. But I don't know if it would have been enough to win the title.
There were probably a few reasons why we didn't win it, not just one.

I think kane would have been better for more breaks in the league. But it was tricky for poch to do that with no real other striker option.
He did look knackered at times.

the manager & coach team need to understand why we lost it last season, and the start was the game against West Ham, once they understand, the training both mental & physical can be changed, and hopefully also helps in highlighting what players we need to bring in, someone like Zaltan, a player who is full of confidence& experience, then shows that ability when needed, yes that's not the Poch type player, but I feel we still need that player who has won leagues

the manager & coach team need to understand why we lost it last season, and the start was the game against West Ham, once they understand, the training both mental & physical can be changed, and hopefully also helps in highlighting what players we need to bring in, someone like Zaltan, a player who is full of confidence& experience, then shows that ability when needed, yes that's not the Poch type player, but I feel we still need that player who has won leagues

Toby, Jan and Eriksen have all won leagues

yes they may have won leagues, but its only Toby that gives out that sign of confidents to me,
you can have good players, but you need that little bit extra sometimes, Man Utd needed Cantona just to kick start the winning habit, I think we need that type of player who can create a goal from nothing, we are almost there, look at last night we should have been down & out, but we got 2-2 draw, just feel we need that 1 player (don't know who) that gives rest of team that lift just at those moments in matches

yes they may have won leagues, but its only Toby that gives out that sign of confidents to me,
you can have good players, but you need that little bit extra sometimes, Man Utd needed Cantona just to kick start the winning habit, I think we need that type of player who can create a goal from nothing, we are almost there, look at last night we should have been down & out, but we got 2-2 draw, just feel we need that 1 player (don't know who) that gives rest of team that lift just at those moments in matches
I'd personally say Dele is that player for us, can come from looking average to scoring an incredibly good and important goal, he may not have that flashy name or nation but the boy can play and he's a game changer

I'd personally say Dele is that player for us, can come from looking average to scoring an incredibly good and important goal, he may not have that flashy name or nation but the boy can play and he's a game changer

Yeh to an extent although a type of
player that can play in very tight spaces and explode from nowhere, the amount of games Woolwich have got draws or wins because of Sanchez when they have been shit, even one of their fans said they are a mid table club minus Sanchez. If we had Sanchez we would win the league.

Back
Top Bottom