Expectations for the season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Payet, maybe, although he's also over-rated due to lack of competition. Mahrez 2016 is not Mahrez 2015, funnily enough, although I'm sure all those people who pointed out that Leicester last year amounted to a lot of dumb luck were just bitter haters.
It's true that they are not having the best of seasons, neither have their clubs btw so that must be related to a certain extent. Hazard was really poor last year as well for instance, despite clearly being an amazing player.

Having said that, both were fantastic last year for long periods, absolutely top-class. I don't think any of our lot playing in the three behind the striker ever came close to having such a year for us. Sure, they had their moments, but overall they are far to inconsistent.

Eriksen in particular has been guilty of this for as long as I can remember, even going back to his Ajax days. Turns up for a week or two, then turns to sh!t for the next month, only to turn up for a couple of weeks again, then become sh!t once more, etc. We've seen it with Son as well, really turned it up at the start of this season, actually proved a lot of people wrong, but he has been awful since the international break. Lamela also does it and from what Newcastle fans will tell you Sissoko is the very definition of one of those players who can be great on their day, but usually don't turn up. Only with Alli it's a bit early for me to tell.

When we had Bale and VDV they were always a threat, even when they had an offday, there was always the possibility that they would still score or produce something useful. Bale actually had quite a few poor performances in his final season for us, yet somehow he still managed to score in those games. I don't feel the same with our current players in those positions though, when they are struggling during a match, it's very unlikely for them to overcome that. Kane is still a threat even when he is not playing well, the players behind him though? Not so much imo and quite frankly, that is just not good enough.

4th or a cup would be great. Either is a tough ask for poch.

latest

With our obvious disregard for the elite European competition and at the moment our rather lack lustre league performances(though after 13 games last season we have the exact same record)! Is there a change in anyone's expectations from the original post? More optimistic.....less?

We should target the FA Cup now. Still annoys me to this day we lost to Portsmouth years back, who then had to play Cardiff in the final. That should have been ours, the cup was handed to us on a plate and we fucked it up yet again. Spursy has been around for a long time.

We should target the FA Cup now. Still annoys me to this day we lost to Portsmouth years back, who then had to play Cardiff in the final. That should have been ours, the cup was handed to us on a plate and we fucked it up yet again. Spursy has been around for a long time.
That was one of the hardest defeats I have had to take. I'm sure like most of us (especially back then) it was a very rare occasion that I went to a game in a confident mood. But that game had me bowling up Wembley Way like John Wayne with a bag of Columbian washing powder up me nostrils. I then watch Redknapp getting fisted by Avram fucking Grant. It was fucking torture, their fans wound me up no end, as quite frankly they were probably the loudest fans that i have witnessed at Wembley. They sang and partied their hearts out before, during and after that game.

Thanks for bringing it up Bushy, going to have to punch something now.

Spurs to finish 4th or 5th. Poch to be retained. Kane to sign new contract, amid interest from Real Madrid. Chairman to build another outdoor tennis court at Cuffley home.

A bunch of guys will walk on the pitch and kick a ball for a few dozen games, a load of people will watch and come away either with big smiles or angry faces. People on the Internet will make lots of trolling comments based on these events and then the season will end. These are my expectations.

It's been a funny season. Performances were poor for the first few games. Then we were excellent for the next 4.5 games (Stoke away through to half time at West Brom) and I thought we looked like we could win the league. Then since then have been mediocre/poor again, except for decent showings at Woolwich and Chelsea. All the while we've largely been picking up points even when not playing great. And in the CL we look like a different side even compared to the poorer PL performances.

I don't know what to make of it tbh. I don't think we will mount a league challenge, but that's in large part due to the strength of the opposition this season. We could go on a good run though and challenge for the top 3. Under Poch we've tended to do very well over Christmas, in fact between now and late Feb, when we've played the same number of games as all other teams. At the same time, I wouldn't be all that surprised if we dropped away from the top four race entirely.

And I don't know what to attribute the mediocre performances to. Injuries (why so many? Is it just luck?). Poor form of Eriksen/Alli/Dembele. Balancing the CL and league. Janssen and Sissoko not firing. Fitness problems with the training + extra (important) games. The England players having lost confidence over the summer. Could be any combination of the above.

That was one of the hardest defeats I have had to take. I'm sure like most of us (especially back then) it was a very rare occasion that I went to a game in a confident mood. But that game had me bowling up Wembley Way like John Wayne with a bag of Columbian washing powder up me nostrils. I then watch Redknapp getting fisted by Avram fucking Grant. It was fucking torture, their fans wound me up no end, as quite frankly they were probably the loudest fans that i have witnessed at Wembley. They sang and partied their hearts out before, during and after that game.

Thanks for bringing it up Bushy, going to have to punch something now.

Some of us older supporters will remember losing to Coventry in a FA Cup final. I was there and we were overwhelming favourites at a time when we had an excellent win % at Wembley. Still do not know how we lost it.

Some of us older supporters will remember losing to Coventry in a FA Cup final. I was there and we were overwhelming favourites at a time when we had an excellent win % at Wembley. Still do not know how we lost it.

"Seven times we've won the Cup, then Gary Mabbutt fucked it up, we're Hot-Shit-Tottenham!"

So so hard on our wonderful skipper... of all the players to score that og... especially when you consider that both Mitchell Thomas and Gary Stevens (who had only just come on) were both on the same pitch... and yet the footballing Gods have to go and fucking give it to Mabbutt...
I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THEM!

*incidentally, that was possibly one of the first, early incarnations of 'Spursy' in a game;

- The missing logos on some of the (god-awful) Hummel kits...

- Going into a game with a very un-Spurs-like confidence... and being put firmly in our place...

- The early Clive Allen goal (his 49th of the season is surely worthy of some silverware... yes... yes...? OK, no then!)

- The almost Comedic Coventry managerial 'Dynamic Duo' of George whatsiname and the fat one (John Sillet?) ...they looked like extras out of Phoenix Nights... and yet they got the better of David Pleat's Blue'n'White Army

- And just the general 'feelgood' mood in the lead up to the day itself being totally fucking ruined by Coventry's one and only Cup Final appearance, let alone them fucking winning the thing!

The stars certainly mis-aligned that day... and shat all over us from a great height!

...then again, Wimbledon did it to Liverpool a year later... and I bet that fucking hurt them and their self-entitled fans far far more!

I was there too and we lost it, in my view, because we stopped feeding Waddle after he had skinned their FB, Downs, for Clive's early goal!

It was obvious to me that he had the easy beating of him but i can't recall another one on one!!

A genuine mystery

:harryhmm:

We'll need either Liverpool or Woolwich to slip up.
Yeah. Obviously it is probably between city, utd, Woolwich, chelsea, liverpool & us.
& maybe a surprise team like everton.

I reckon we will end up 4th-6th. But I also thought we would qualify from our CL group!

I would love a cup but as many have mentioned, poch doesn't really value them & puts out weakened teams.

Mixing up some cup finals here.....

The season we lost to Portsmouth in the semi, they then played Chavski in the final. And if that complete cunt Prince Boateng hadn't missed a penalty at 0-0 with time running out they would probably have won it too.

I was at the semi, I can't fault the formation or effort. They were gifted the opener when Dawson slipped on the appalling pitch, and then Crouch had a perfectly good goal ruled out. When Wilson got a yellow at the end for giving away a penalty, I just knew our league season was over. We just couldn't win games without him, so top 4 was out of the question. Cue wins over Arse, Chavs and away at Citeh. Stunning stuff. Fantastic spirit.

I've just checked Portsmouth's route to the final when they beat Cardiff. Just unbelievable luck. It's worth checking out:
2008 FA Cup Final - Wikipedia
It's even more silly than Greece winning the Euros, at least they had to play some strong countries. When Portsmouth won at Manure, the keeper gave away a pen and got a red card - 1:0. None of the other oppo was PL.

And yes, I was at the Coventry final too. We just didn't lose fa cup finals in those days, so a lot of fans thought it would be a walkover. I didn't share their optimism, having been to both league matches, 3-4 away and a jammy 1-0 home. Regis and Houchen completely beasted Mabbutt and Gough at Highfield Road, and almost did the same at WHL.

Back
Top Bottom