The Mighty Poch Men vs. Everton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's the longest in the shower?

• Total voters
As Everton are weak I'd go for the kill.

------------------Lloris----------------
Walker---Toby--------Jan---Rose
-------------------Dier-----------------
Lamela----------Alli--------Eriksen
----------Jannsen---Kane-----------

I like that line up with two up front but what are the odds on Poch starting with a fairly new formation. I think he'll start with Kane up top alone. Would love to see it though!

This is how I think we'll line up:

Lloris, Walker, Toby A, Verts, Rose; Dier, Wanyama; Lamela, Alli, Eriksen; Kane

Subs: Vorm, CCV, Trippier, Edwards, Mason, Chadli, Jansen

Excited!!!

-----------------Lloris----------------
Walker---Toby-------Jan---Rose
---------Dier--------Wanyama----
---Lamela-----------------Alli-----
----------------Jansen----------------
------------------Kane---------------

Eriksens assists are important so it's a tough one but I think we need to be a bit more powerful/aggressive in the final third. Jansen creates and scores like a morherfucker so I'm not a big fan of killing his momentum dead so I hope he starts. I doubt it though. I presume Eriksen will.

Lamelas form has been better in preseason so I went with Lamela over Eriksen. First sub on would be Eriksen if we go behind. I'm worried about set peice takers but despite getting lots of assists, Eriksens deliveries were relatively poor compared to his ability so I presume he's been working on it. We won sooooo many corners, free kicks etc and have monsters in the air so I'm surprised we didn't get even more from them. We essentially play with 3 centerbacks attacking them along with Kane and strong players like Alli, Dembele, Dolphin etc we really should be scoring more from them. I think this season we will improve in that area...hopefully starting with Everton.

Wanyama needs to be on his toes. Rose Eriksen and Alli can switch off sometimes so potentially playing with either two strikers or Eriksen and Lamela then way we need to be solid in the spine. We are away from home and Everton (and everyone else) are no pushover so Wanyama should start. And if he plays great, IMO Dembele and Wanyama should play once reinstated.

I'm really interested to see if we improve individually. Erik Needs to watch his tacking in dangerous areas and (along with Eriksen) do a better job helping out Walker/Rose off the ball. Lloris needs to watch his distribution. Alli needs to control his aggression. Walker/Rose needs to work on his crossing. If all of these improve we'll be up for the title. I don't fear any other teams...only our own players can lose us the title IMO. If we play to our potential we'll be fine. Poch's training gold badges where he has a little too much faith in some hard workers in training worries me a little but he tends to get it right.

So apart from a few quibbles I just hope we learn. If we give away goals straight after scoring or Rose marks a 6+ footer in the air on set peices or we give our hospital balls in our own half (that alone put a massive dent in our title tilt) it will be a struggle. But even then we are so good I still think CL will happen.

Speaking of preseason and gold badges... I would not be surprised if Mason started. Mason was awesome in the first half vs Inter and I know Poch zooms in on the donkey work. I think he's going to be a dark horse this season. He had an injury season much like Dembele did two seasons ago and he's moving so much better.

Even our bench excites me. Davies was a god in the Euros. So many blocks etc. Wimmer was every bit as good as Jan last season. It's almost impossible to put out a bad team.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

As Everton are weak I'd go for the kill.

------------------Lloris----------------
Walker---Toby--------Jan---Rose
-------------------Dier-----------------
Lamela----------Alli--------Eriksen
----------Jannsen---Kane-----------

Mentioned that we might see that formation in the future (not for every game). Got laughed at by the experts. I'm ok though.

Mentioned that we might see that formation in the future (not for every game). Got laughed at by the experts. I'm ok though.
The first 15 minutes of the second half against Inter suggests that it's certainly on Pochettino's mind and you would expect that it is a system that is being worked on in training.

It's only my opinion, but I'm not sure the first game of the season away at Everton would be the best place to start with that set up. I think it should be a time where you take the safer option and go with what you know, if you like. It would be an exciting combination to see at home though, the only question would be who misses out to accommodate the second striker.

The first 15 minutes of the second half against Inter suggests that it's certainly on Pochettino's mind and you would expect that it is a system that is being worked on in training.

It's only my opinion, but I'm not sure the first game of the season away at Everton would be the best place to start with that set up. I think it should be a time where you take the safer option and go with what you know, if you like. It would be an exciting combination to see at home though, the only question would be who misses out to accommodate the second striker.

I think you're right about Everton away not being the place to try it. However I was surprised that some people thought it silly though. It was the FM types, so maybe I shouldn't have been.

Back
Top Bottom