Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the days of having an exciting young prospect that no one has heard of suddenly burst onto the scene and take everyone by surprise are long gone...

Partly 'cos of the Internet. .. no actually TOTALLY 'cos of the Internet!

No doubt he'll be in everyones' fantasy teams this August... will have his own player profile OPTA rating on FIFA'17 and will be choreographing and patenting his 'Goal Celebration' hand gesture before Christmas!!

Cue the cheeky €100m bid from Real Madrid in the January window!

I refuse to believe this is the performance that made everyone on my Twitter lose their minds. Way to add unnecessary hype onto a young player's shoulders people.

Looks like he needs a loan move or two.
But if he gets loaned, Poch will sell him. :chadliwtf:

Can we lower the hype by changing the op name to Marcus Edwards- Damien Duff with a peroxide mullet-fro

No, we need to hype him up. The thread should be called something like:

Pele+Maradonna+Beckenbauer+Cryuf+Puskas+Ronaldo+Di Stefano+Keegan = <Marcus Edwards

And that still playing down the hype too, because Marcus Edwards is just that good. Marcus Edwards will be the greatest footballer the world has ever seen.

Last edited:
No, we need to hype him up. The thread should be called something like:

Pele+Maradonna+Beckenbauer+Cryuf+Puskas+Ronaldo+Di Stefano+Keegan = >Marcus Edwards

And that still playing down the hype too, because Marcus Edwards is just that good. Marcus Edwards will be the greatest footballer the world has ever seen.

think you got your sign the wrong way round

giphy.gif

nothing-stops-this-train.gif

Didn't have as much time on the ball in the game against Atletico then he did against Juventus but I liked his touches. You can tell he is comfortable on the ball in tight spaces and that he is always thinking forward.

I almost thought Poch wasn't going to bring him on to sort of not over expose him and just let him do the talking in training but I'm glad he brought him on because there is hype surrounding him and rightly so. He had one run in that game in the centre of their half where he took on about three players and then continued running forward after releasing it. I liked that.

I know he hardly done much but might as well keep the thread up to date.

Just by watching the clip, he has great close control. Receiving the ball on 00:24 seconds isn't easy, bring it out and keep possession was good for someone so young. Think he shows good awareness of others around him too. Love his run at 1:16 and how he burst forward even after making the pass and wanting to get on the end of it.

I really hope they don't send him up to Sev Co to get lumps kicked out of him and we keep him (and ourselves) grounded.

I think people need to be a bit more grounded to be honest. In that clip his pass completion/lose possession ratio is roughly 50/50, in 45 minutes over the two games he scored no goals, made no assists and created no clear goal chances for others which are the markers most people use when describing "fantastic" performances. Not slagging him off for a second but it doesn't really stand up to the New Messi hype that some (not here, elsewhere on social media I mean) are throwing at him. Some suggesting for example we dont need to sign N'koudou or anyone else for that matter, Edwards is the answer to all our prayers and so on

There's no doubt he's a promising young talent, but he's still 17, still looks like a teenage lad as opposed to a man. I doubt he'll make 10 league appearances next season

I think people need to be a bit more grounded to be honest. In that clip his pass completion/lose possession ratio is roughly 50/50, in 45 minutes over the two games he scored no goals, made no assists and created no clear goal chances for others which are the markers most people use when describing "fantastic" performances. Not slagging him off for a second but it doesn't really stand up to the New Messi hype that some (not here, elsewhere on social media I mean) are throwing at him. Some suggesting for example we dont need to sign N'koudou or anyone else for that matter, Edwards is the answer to all our prayers and so on

There's no doubt he's a promising young talent, but he's still 17, still looks like a teenage lad as opposed to a man. I doubt he'll make 10 league appearances next season

So what you're saying is we should pump him full of growth hormone like Barca did with Messi? Count me in.

Edwards might be the reason we don't need to make a similar signing next year but he's definitely not a reason to pass over N'Koudou now. The opposition weren't even out of second gear in these friendlies, albeit being amongst our own first XI at full tilt may also offer him extra protection and help him show and develop more.

Been re watching the games last night and today
Honestly feel we have to be very careful with Edwards.
Yet he seems to be able to handle it with players of another level in pre season, but it's pre season and contact is not so intense.
Still a bit fragile, but the training will strengthen him up.

However, I think he would make a great impact player. for a game where we need something to happen in the last 10. To be fair he's just what we need and we won't have to go out an look for one.
Every time he gets the ball and runs with it he draws players towards him opening up space for others.
We have lacked someone with the close control who is willing to run at defenders from anywhere committing them to unlock a tight defence.

I hope we will see him in some domestic cup games this season. I'd say he should be on the team sheet for the league cup games. We don't need to send him out on loan to somewhere where he will get kicked to pieces.
He just needs time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom