Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lennon's biggest problem was, he hit his peak very early and therefore never lived up to the exceptions people had of him.

All my opinion...

His biggest problem is he never wanted to come to Spurs and was homesick. He was never happy at this club, and went to Leeds on every single opportunity. Harry even hinted he faked injury to do so. Rumors of him turning up to training drunk is why Poch ditched him, but his form was also a good reason to let him go.

Lennon IMO never knew what he had. He was too selfish and will look back on his career and realize he pissed his talents away. He could have been a household name but he didn't have any respect for the club.

I'm glad he's gone. He could have been twice the player he was.

Good luck to him. He might not have fulfilled his potential but I don't remember many times he didn't put in a shift for us and probably didn't get the credit he deserved for some excellent defensive work on the overlap - something Bale rarely did even though he used to be a defender.

Lennon has provided many great moments. THAT goal against Chelsea, THAT goal against Woolwich, THAT goal against Liverpool. The way he'd rip apart Evra everytime we played Man Utd. His five assists and a goal against Wigan in our 9-1 demolition. But I'll always remember his goal against Middlesbrough, one of my favourite Spurs goals and it was the start of that great reign under Redknapp.

Lennon made me to support Spurs.
I was in Paris for a week during the World Cup 2006, watching games everyday at cafes. Once was watching England vs Trinidad Tobago at Cafe Verts near Alma-marceau with some English supporters.

Eriksson put Lennon in the second half, that was his A match debut I remember. The fans started to blame Eriksson, playing a 18-yr old kid who had no experience at World Cup. I had heard a bit about him before, so told them that the kid got pace, lets just watch coz I got some feeling he'll be a whizz kid. They might have laughed at me, an East Asian girl of her early twenties acts like football expert in front of English fans!

But Azza did really well and actually assisted Beckham's goal, the crowd(yes, of 5 people) went wild and the skeptical bought me a pint of beer.

From then to about 2009 was my and his golden days at Spurs. I joined the Korean Spurs Community and became one of the board members. Then left for England and stayed a year which made my faith in the club so immense. He played week in week out and became one of our most important players. Never been the most expensive or famous one, but he did his role very well with his pace, piercing the defense challenges. I was so into him that I have sent hand-written letters and presents several times and once couldnt sleep that he visited my myspace after I requested to be friends! (He didnt accept the request thou :lennonlol:)

He was the last remained one from Jol days, I feel bad that my memories of golden days finally became a history with his departure. Couldnt be a world class player but does worth to have in the squad IMHO. Seeing a player from my country, Son, getting no. 7 which was my favorite Spurs player's makes me feel weird.

All the best, Azza. Thank you for all the precious memories.

Mate, your memory of that game is cloudy at best. It was a brilliant result and ranks highly in my list of favorite matches, but our backs were against the wall for the full 180 minutes of that tie and AC Milan were shooting for fun at Gomes. Crouch's goal was completely against the run of play, an unheard of Brazilian played a fucking worldie and kept us from getting run over, and Gallas' clearance off the line was simply a miracle.

That game was a special moment, but calling it one of Harry's "tactical triumphs" is laughable.

Talking bollocks,

First Leg

Possession

• AC Milan53%
  • Tottenham47%
Attempts on target

• AC Milan6
  • Tottenham7
Attempts off target

• AC Milan5
  • Tottenham2
Corners

• AC Milan9
  • Tottenham5
Fouls

• AC Milan10
  • Tottenham16

Second leg

Possession

• Tottenham49%
  • AC Milan51%
Attempts on target

• Tottenham2
  • AC Milan7
Attempts off target

• Tottenham6
  • AC Milan6
Corners

• Tottenham4
  • AC Milan5
Fouls

• Tottenham14
  • AC Milan17

I'll miss Lennon but he is a player who is full of if's and but's - when he was good he was practically unplayable but when he was bad he was as frustrating a player as you could wish to see.

We've had a few of them down the years; Jenas, Defoe, Dawson, BAE and Huddlestone spring to mind - each of them had spells at The Lane which were brilliant, they are, however players who's name's will always be followed with a 'but'

I'll miss Lennon but he is a player who is full of if's and but's - when he was good he was practically unplayable but when he was bad he was as frustrating a player as you could wish to see.

We've had a few of them down the years; Jenas, Defoe, Dawson, BAE and Huddlestone spring to mind - each of them had spells at The Lane which were brilliant, they are, however players who's name's will always be followed with a 'but'
They all summed up Spurs. At their heights they were all very good footballers, but there heights were short-lived. You only have to look where they've all ended up following Spurs. Huddlestone and Dawson both left us for Hull City and are now in the Championship. Jenas is now retired at a young age and played for the likes of QPR, Forest and Villa following us, Defoe went to MLS and now plays for relegation stricken Sunderland and Ekotto has gone down hill. Lennon has arguably moved sideways but he had more potential than all of those listed.

I guess that's why we all had such an affliction with them. They were Spurs, they were all here for a long time, was with us through our rough times and especially during our glory heights of the Champions League, a togetherness. I just hope we get that with the current crop, especially since few of them come through the ranks together.

Fuck me, you'd think we were saying goodbye to Iniesta the way some of you bang on.
Limited player, far too few stand out moments for 10 years at the club.
Absolute cult hero though. Cheers Azza, all the best.

Talking bollocks,

First Leg

Possession

• AC Milan53%
  • Tottenham47%
Attempts on target

• AC Milan6
  • Tottenham7
Attempts off target

• AC Milan5
  • Tottenham2
Corners

• AC Milan9
  • Tottenham5
Fouls

• AC Milan10
  • Tottenham16

Second leg

Possession

• Tottenham49%
  • AC Milan51%
Attempts on target

• Tottenham2
  • AC Milan7
Attempts off target

• Tottenham6
  • AC Milan6
Corners

• Tottenham4
  • AC Milan5
Fouls

• Tottenham14
  • AC Milan17
AC Milan 0
Tottenham 1
The only stat that fucking matters mate...

Lennon has provided many great moments. THAT goal against Chelsea, THAT goal against Woolwich, THAT goal against Liverpool. The way he'd rip apart Evra everytime we played Man Utd. His five assists and a goal against Wigan in our 9-1 demolition. But I'll always remember his goal against Middlesbrough, one of my favourite Spurs goals and it was the start of that great reign under Redknapp.

Imagine if we made that many passes in our own half now, the crowd would go nuts.

Absolutely love this man! Even when he wasn't at his best he gave us shape and done his work defensively! Also gave the opposition something to think about! Some very great memories!

If he was that homesick it doesn't take 10 years to leave!

Yid!

Back
Top Bottom