New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would imagine the naming rights/finance for the Stadium is in place, do they need to shout it from the rooftops yet ? No. A company such as ENIC would not commit £50 million approx to commence piling/ground works if it didn't think it could complete the rest of the project, with or without naming rights. The whole "it's not getting built" conspiracy theory supporters need to either stop taking, or considerably up their medication.
Yes it's been long winded and drawn out, but it is nearly at the end game as far as the legalities are concerned. People bitching about ENIC have really short memories, would you really want to go back to the days when Sugar run the club, do you really want to have another chairman like Scholar ? He nearly put the club out of business because of the way he financed "One Stand".
Oh yeh, and we tend to occupy a position in the league that is nearer the top than it is the bottom in a time when it really shouldn't be possible when you see how much money the clubs above us have at their disposal.
The other thing to remember is that ENIC is in the business of making money, it is not a charity and doesn't make decisions based on passion and loyalty to the club like fans do. If you want someone like that to run your club then ask Peter Ridsdale or Mr Harrods to come onboard, oh wait a minute.
The Stadium is getting built, the hearing next month may delay it(again) but it won't stop it. Be careful what you wish for, we are in a good place at the moment and it can only get more positive, ENIC are not perfect, but ask any other teams support and they wouldn't kick em out of bed, with perhaps the exception of Citeh and Chelski.

but it is nearly at the end game as far as the legalities are concerned.

No, it really isn't. They can go to the European Courts, which can take years to be resolved.

"Jay Das, a planning and compulsory purchase expert at law firm Wedlake Bell explained: ‘Spurs face the prospect of an appeal to the High Court and Archway could appeal that decision too. This whole process could take up to two years in a worse case scenario.

Archway may even decide to pursue the European Courts, which would bring another two year delay. This all means the club may not be able to begin stadium construction for another four years."

The only hope of avoiding huge delays was if Levy came to an agreement with Archways, which hasn't happened. In a Trust meeting Levy said the delay had nothing to do with money and negotiations had basically stopped.

1000 per month for a room, so much money. I don't get how people earning sub 30k can live in London?

You can find cheaper places cropping up here and there. Especially if you house share.

We had a pretty decent place in islington paying about 600 per month each a few years ago. I had a one bed place overlooking the river in Putney for 1400 (700 each with the gf)

But yeah, London prices are ridiculous and even earning 40k you struggle to enjoy luxuries without having panic attacks at the end of the month.

Police provide update on 'suspicious' fire at firm holding up Tottenham Hotspur's stadium plans

Police are continuing to investigate a fire at a firm embroiled in a long-running legal battle with Tottenham Hotspur.

One of Archway Sheet Metal Works' (ASMW) buildings caught ablaze in the early hours of 25 November - a fire that the police are still treating as "suspicious".

In a statement, the MET police said: "An investigation has been launched into the cause of the fire and at this early stage the fire is being treated as suspicious. Officers from Haringey are in the process of exploring all forensic and CCTV opportunities. No arrests have been made and enquires continue."

Speaking to 24dash the firm said that it had had to make repairs after the blaze but that the business was up and running again - while the investigation into the blaze is "in the hands of the local authorities and the police"

ASMW's premises represent the last obstacle to Tottenham Hotspur's plans to build a new 56,000-seater stadium.

The Premier League club secured a compulsory purchase order (CPO) last year to force ASMW to sell its land on Paxton Road opposite the present White Hart Stadium.

ASMW exercised its right to appeal the CPO sparking a High Court challenge that was due to be heard last week.

However, the hearing was suddenly cancelled at the last minute and delayed until the middle of February.

In the wake of the adjournment, Tottenham released a statement that said: "Due to the fact that not all parties were ready to proceed, the court has adjourned the hearing for a short time and this will now be heard on the 17th and 18th February 2015."

The statement produced an angry reaction from ASMW, which claimed that the club was the cause of the delay.

A spokesperson for ASMW said: "In view of the club’s incomplete and misleading account of the true reasons for the adjournment, we made a friendly request for a slight amendment to the news item on the their website. This was to ensure that the fans were not misled into believing that we were responsible for the delay, but Spurs refused to make that amendment. Archway makes this clear statement so that Spurs fans, the news media and other interested parties are not misled as to who is responsible for this ongoing delay: clearly, Haringey Council and the secretive directors of Spurs."

According to the firm, Tottenham's CPO is "unlawful and unfair" because the club and the council failed to make information about their plans public before communities secretary Eric Pickles gave the green light

You can find cheaper places cropping up here and there. Especially if you house share.

We had a pretty decent place in islington paying about 600 per month each a few years ago. I had a one bed place overlooking the river in Putney for 1400 (700 each with the gf)

But yeah, London prices are ridiculous and even earning 40k you struggle to enjoy luxuries without having panic attacks at the end of the month.

600pcm (each) is still expensive for up here. You can get a very nice place for 400pcm (2 bed flat type property, central location) each.

Prices are only going up your end it seems as well.

600pcm (each) is still expensive for up here. You can get a very nice place for 400pcm (2 bed flat type property, central location) each.

Prices are only going up your end it seems as well.

I guess more and higher paid jobs in general dictates that this will normally happen around a city like London.
The mrs is from the north, her parents have a pretty big house, but it's valued at something silly like 300k when if it was in Surrey it would be millions even at half the size.
It would be great to go and rent/buy a much bigger place somewhere up north but I doubt I would find a full time job that pays what I earn now and doesn't involve a lengthy commute.

Soon rail links are going to be much improved and when all these high speed railways are done, us londeners are coming up north to fuck up your housing market.

Soon rail links are going to be much improved and when all these high speed railways are done, us londeners are coming up north to fuck up your housing market.

You can rent a room of me for a bargain £900pcm :levylol:

I guess more and higher paid jobs in general dictates that this will normally happen around a city like London.
The mrs is from the north, her parents have a pretty big house, but it's valued at something silly like 300k when if it was in Surrey it would be millions even at half the size.
It would be great to go and rent/buy a much bigger place somewhere up north but I doubt I would find a full time job that pays what I earn now and doesn't involve a lengthy commute.

Yeah you could grab a 4 bed detached with garage for 300k up here. The York / Harrogate / Leeds triangle is a little more pricey, but more desirable so makes sense.

As you said though, you have to live where your work is.

No, it really isn't. They can go to the European Courts, which can take years to be resolved.

"Jay Das, a planning and compulsory purchase expert at law firm Wedlake Bell explained: ‘Spurs face the prospect of an appeal to the High Court and Archway could appeal that decision too. This whole process could take up to two years in a worse case scenario.

Archway may even decide to pursue the European Courts, which would bring another two year delay. This all means the club may not be able to begin stadium construction for another four years."

The only hope of avoiding huge delays was if Levy came to an agreement with Archways, which hasn't happened. In a Trust meeting Levy said the delay had nothing to do with money and negotiations had basically stopped.

Worse case scenario, could, may not be able.
If Jay Das really thought the stadium wasn't going to happen she would be using more positive language. Believe me, if people like her thought Archway had a hope in Hell they would be using words like "will" and "going to".
Whilst this farce continues you will always get quotes from people "in the know", is she actually involved in the case ? Would Archway really go to the European courts, could they afford it ?, not even sure that it is a viable option as far as cpo' s are concerned but don't quote me on that.

Whilst this farce continues you will always get quotes from people "in the know", is she actually involved in the case ? Would Archway really go to the European courts, could they afford it ?, not even sure that it is a viable option as far as cpo' s are concerned but don't quote me on that.

Far as I know, no, she's not. Just a random quote from a newspaper, but it showed this isn't really even close to being 'over'.

They've had the money to hold this up so far and keep rejecting Levys offers, so I'd imagine they could probably go to the European Courts. Fuck knows how they're being financed.

1000 per month for a room, so much money. I don't get how people earning sub 30k can live in London?

I took a 12k pay cut when I left London to come back up North. I was earning decent money so it wasn't a huge % cut (you lose 40% straight off). Much better off being back up North financially - Property prices are crazy. I do miss London though, it has an energy like nowhere else in the world. But quality of life it's a no brainer.

I rent 3 flats out in London. I charge under the
going rate with a agency taking a cut.
The profit is smaller but I have always had great
tennents and have never lost a rent .
Being fair seems to work for my advantage.
I am in the process of buying a farm in Suffolk
which has 3 holiday apartments .
I will use the same policy.

Last edited:
Woolwich also did it at a favourable time, the CPO took 4 months and they had the co operation of Islington for building it. The land they bought was 80% owned by Islington, Sainsbury's and Railtrack.
They reneged on promises to improve Holloway Rd, Drayton park and Finsbury park stations and more (link)http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/may/03/sport.comment1
They also bought low and sold high to help finance the build, and selling players helped them to finance their training ground.
They also secured a £240m loan at decent interest from RBS, which was easier to come by in that climate.
However, all the objections were overturned without much fuss, even the high court one from small businesses in 2005. Even the underground car park fiasco was solved when Islington agreed to restrict access to 14 streets on match day, which has been under review ever since.
It will never happen again at that price. Spams conversion has cost half as much as the emirates, and they ain't paying for it.
We only got the go ahead from Local Government and the Mayor after the riots, were fucked about with the CPO etc, etc.

If we want a new stadium, in Tottenham, this is what we will have to put up with. There obviously are not any other alternatives in the area. We will have to be buying players low and selling them high and every bit of spare money will have to go towards it. We are not getting it done for free like Spam or City. Anyway, we didn't want to move to the OS. Whilst doing this we will need to maintain a decent league position.
We will have to find people willing to invest in an area which isn't exactly desirable and has sub standard transport links. There's not much use building expensive apartments for first time buyers in an area no one can commute to the city from. Remember we will be accommodating for 20 odd thousand more fans with the same transport links.
Yet we cry out to spend £30m on a player in the January window? It ain't going to happen. We only ever bought a £30m player because we sold Bale for £97m. Don't let one season's window fool us into thinking we will chuck such some around again without selling to do so.

How many of actually live in Tottenham? I would like to know how may of us fans actually live local. I lived there for a week with my mate and could not hack it. He fucked off from thee too It's a fucking shit hole.
This regeneration is going to be long and hard. Seeing as nobody is doing anything else to make it desirable to live, like the council or LRT, is it all going to fall on us?
I have lived in Shoreditch since I was 4, before that in Clapton. This area was a shit hole, but had one thing going for it, location. Only in the last 5-8 years have the council improved this area, when it became the destination of the hipsters, and one bedroom ex council flat now cost £300pw.
I agree with a lot said here but poor transport links to the city bollocks. Bruce grove and white Hart Lane will whisk you into the city in 15mins plus 7 sisters links you to the west end. With regards to development potential it's not transport links that is holding tottenham (the area) back.

Back
Top Bottom