Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Err....no one is slagging off the goals Soldado scored from the spot......they are slating the lack of everything else. How is this confusing to you?

And Shearer scored 260 goals for those clubs. Guess what? The vast majority were not penalties.

58 of them were.

That's the equivalent of 2 full prolific PL seasons full of only penalties.

Although based on your comprehension so far in this thread, it's not surprising you have the opinion you do.

58 of them were.

Although based on your comprehension so far in this thread, it's not surprising you have the opinion you do.

Why are we talking about Shearer and Soldado?

It's like talking about Alex Fergison in an AVB thread.

You are putting yourself down if you use soldados tiny penalty sample size and mention him in the same breath as a legend.

You're just making yourself look stupid.

You're taking the smallest sample size of the only season the guy has had, completely ignoring his penalties because they're not "open play", then disregarding the close similarities with a player you call a legend?

almost 25% of all PL goals Shearer scored were from the spot. He also had bad seasons that weren't far off Soldado's season everyone is obsessed with criticising.

Soldado:

13/14 - one goal every 4.67 games (PL). 1 in 3.27 games (All comps)

His career total is still one games in every 2.12 games.

Shearer:

97/98 - one in every 8.5 games (PL) , 1 in 3.29 (All comps)
00/01 - one in every 3.8 games (PL), 1 in 3.29 (All comps)
04/05 - one in every 4 games (PL), 1 in 2.21 (All comps)

Career total of one goal every 1.93 games

Moral of this is that even the players people regard as 'Legends' have had poor seasons. Soldado isn't a Rebrov or a Pavlyuchenko (who had an almost identical first season) because he's come from a background of being a proven goalscorer.

Only you can equate soldados season as having close similarities to Alan fucking Catalina wine mixer Shearer.

Keep massaging those stats and cherry picking to pretend reality didn't happen.

Players having a poor initial season automatically means they will all evolve into shearer?

:capouestare:

Last edited:
58 of them were.

Yes. But he ALSO scored 202 goals from open play in the same period.

Had he scored 29 penalties in one season, but only 2 goals from open play would you judge his season the same way as if he scored 2 penalties and 29 goals from open play?

Yes. But he ALSO scored 202 goals from open play in the same period.

Had he scored 29 penalties in one season, but only 2 goals from open play would you judge his season the same way as if he scored 2 penalties and 29 goals from open play?

And why was that?

Oh, because people left him to more than one season to achieve it and didn't judge him on that one season

:paulinhofacepalm:

As I just posted a bit in the Lamela thread. If Soldado can become an important PERSON off the field for our team, like Brad, Jan, Hugo and Sandro seem to be, then I will be relatively happy if he stays. We all ready dished out the huge fee to get him. But he seems to offer a lot of leadership and experience that this team certainly needs. I don't expect Ade to be a great leader. Lennon perhaps, but I have never totally liked his attitude. It seems most of our leadership comes from the back of midfield. Well, I think it is important for a goal scorer to also be a leader on your team. Someone who can bring the attack together off the field, even if he isn't always on the field. If Bob can just start scoring some goals, even if he's not as prolific as he was in Spain, I would totally back us keeping him.

He's obviously got talent and I still believe other PL teams and their managers believe he is dangerous and have to put some game planning his way when they go against us, even after the dismal last season.
He perhaps needs more time. But while we are waiting, if he can offer a lot off the field, to our other players and especially our younger players, then his fee might actually pay itself off in the long run, even if it is indirectly through his benefit on other players.

Heh, no it will probably never be totally worth the transfer fee unless he goes on to score 20 or 30 goals this season. But looking at the positives, I still see a ton with Soldado.

Only you can equate soldados season as having close similarities to Alan fucking Catalina wine mixer Shearer.

Keep massaging those stats and cherry picking to pretend reality didn't happen.

Players having a poor initial season automatically means they will all evolve into shearer?

:capouestare:

You're right.

Let's not even give him the chance for that to happen - let's slag off every player except the ones we randomly choose to like.

One season should be all they get. That works out well for all the greats...

It's embarrassing that we have "fans" that act so thick!

And why was that?

Oh, because people left him to more than one season to achieve it and didn't judge him on that one season

:paulinhofacepalm:

Shearer scored a hat trick as a 17yr old, 2 weeks after his senior debut, becoming the youngest player to do so, breaking Greaves 30yr old record.

He finished that season with 3 goals in five games.

By time he left Southampton at the age of 22, he had scored 118 goals for them.

Blackburn, 22 goals in his first season (16 league)
Newcastle, 28 goals in his first season (25 league)

Please continue to compare Shearer and Soldado's first seasons

:adelol:

let's slag off every player except the ones we randomly choose to like.

rofl.gif

Back
Top Bottom