Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're underwhelmed because you don't really know De Boer hence he can do no wrong. Take it from someone who's watched Ajax and the Eredivise regularly, he's a good manager but not the messiah he's made out to be. His football is not as fluid and entertaining as Pochettino's and he's faced similar problems of opening up weak teams as AVB did.
Because you don't rate de Boer, doesn't automatically make the other fella better.

The more interesting "naysayers" tended to chalk it up more so to the academy and their ability to crank out ready-made replacements when needed from those sales, i.e. they would identify which players he was likely to lose next and develop the best players from the academy into those corresponding molds so it'd be a matter of "reloading instead of rebuilding."

Again though, not my opinion, just the messenger.
Great post. Wish it applied to us.

Great post. Wish it applied to us.

Indeed, but of course it's obviously far more difficult in the Prem (as I've no doubt you know). The Eredivisie consists almost entirely of wonderkids bound to go to be snatched up by the age of 25 or veterans who were never deemed good enough for a bigger move. Therefore, it's much easier for an academy of the renowned eye and contacts for young talents such as at Ajax to simply spin the crank and pop out another generation of first-teamers.

cahspur cahspur . Who do you want and why?

I've actually preferred de Boer all along, and have previously said on here I'd even be disappointed with a Poch hire. However, I've since read a good amount of write ups from Poch advocates, and I have to admit they make some fantastic points in the context of our current squad and club mentality.

I do still have my reservations however, such as the large quantity of points conceded late with no wins from behind, his lack of fluent English, and some of his bigger expenditures last summer turned out to be very incompatible. I've made these reservations known, and they've all been countered well and reasonably (especially the last bit). Nonetheless, I do in particular still have my concerns about the seeming inability to close out games favorably.

In the recent managerial poll, Pochettino got 16 votes - 9.5%. What has happened since?

Oh I've got it. It looks like he's going to be the manager.

I think you're right that the momentum has swung considerably since the media buzz and ITK around Poch picked up, and I have to admit it's largely what prompted me to look more into why the Poch supporters were so adamant, but there are still some good reasons out there.

You could make the same argument for hiring Neil Lennon

In defense of de Boer, not entirely. While both are considerably weaker leagues, the Scottish one is a one horse race and it's not even close, while Ajax has less than half of the amount of Dutch internationals as Feyenoord does. Also, Lennon hasn't lost the same amount of his best players at the same frequency as de Boer has. For instance, it's rather telling that Ajax' best players often establish themselves as some of the best at their respective positions at the better teams in top leagues within two years and often one, while Celtic just lost two of their best players last summer who went on to barely see playing time at the likes of Southampton and Norwich.

I think Pochettino, will bring/has dignity, with self-belief. Produce a team with flare and heart. And that will see us always give a good account of ourselves whoever we face. Top 5/6 Europa League finishes. A Europa Cup within 3 seasons and therefore CL football. As a realistic Spurs Supporter, this is what I expect and this is what I believe he will deliver!

Pochettio's Blue and White Army!!

He's likely drawing the comparison between the two given that they've each run train on weaker leagues in recent years.
Ok, fair enough. I think FdB would have been an almost perfect appointment for us. He even said that he wanted the job. Pochettino can't, or won't. If people think that he is the better appointment - OK.

Personally, I've not read anything yet that's convinced me that either of the 2 candidates is clearly better. For me, FDB gets an edge because he knows some of our key players but I'll be the first to say that this is absolutely no guarantee of greater success.

I'll be glad to support either appointment and get things up and running for the new season.

Levy's gonna appoint Moyes, isn't he? :adeohshit:

Ok, fair enough. I think FdB would have been an almost perfect appointment for us. He even said that he wanted the job. Pochettino can't, or won't. If people think that he is the better appointment - OK.

I'm still not convinced he's the better choice, but...

Whether or not people would of preferred FDB (I would of) I'm wholeheartedly fucking excited to see if Poch can implement his high pressing free flowing style to our squad next year.

This. Our play could desperately use a heroine shot to the jugular, and I can only hope Poch's style will be the bigass syringe to do so.

Back
Top Bottom