January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep a midfielder is just squad depth.

We have an absolute quality GK, defence and midfield now.

Just need that sprinkling of brilliance in the front 3 to take us to the elite level imo.

Richy/Johnson/Werner/Solomon/Gil all a rung below that level.

Question marks whether Kulu at RW is the way forward too. Plus Son isn't getting any younger.
100%!
Said it in another post we need a player with magic. The ones we have I really don’t see any of them
Who are live say a gazza, rafael VDV, foden , silva or some who has great close control, beat players with skill, do one-twos, dummies, have great shot and free kicks.

Why would we get TWO fullbakcs in, specially if defensive minded ... if we have Royal in our books :eek: ?

I would say that he is very capable replacement on that regard.
We could entertain idea of buying promising LWB option, true so we'd have also cover there.
I would say either one more fullback or one more CB in summer, not both. If it would be CB, we'd move Benny to LWB cover. Not perfect, but still decent.
Because if we want to challenge, we probably need better players than Royal!!!

I don´t think "capable" is what we need if we want to be challengers, we need at least "good" alternatives.

Why not both????

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

No I'm not ignoring it, you were saying Levy isn't going to deal with Chelsea - in which case as stated the discussion is moot. If Levy isn't going to deal with Chelsea the transfer isn't going to happen and the rumours of him being a target are entirely fabricated, in which case discussions over his potential transfer fee are pointless.

Personally i think Levy will deal with Chelsea and wouldn't cut his nose to spite his face in that way - if we don't buy a player from them to someone else will - so of we like Gallagher at the price mentioned then we buy him. But you don't think he will so why discuss the fee or transfer?
Yeah you missed it. He won't deal with them NOW. At this price point, as opposed to say for Jude Soon-supbell whose deal includes sell ons to Chelsea. The point is he'd be spiting himself if he gave them millions right NOW more than he would be refusing to deal them out of this hole. He's waited along time for this FFP handcuff, I think the restrictions it causes is way more valuable to Enic and Spurs than any one player. Think bigger than Gallagher was my point. Its about the moment.

Johnson is Welsh. That counts.
Well he plays for Wales, cause really he was born in Nottingham. But yeah he's Welsh.

I just wanna see more Englishmen in the starting 11 and roster. Miss the days we had Ledley, Walker, KWP, D-Rose, Dier, Dele, Harry, Defoe, Crouchy, Jenas, Hudders, Jakey...

Absolute dream would be to have one or two N17-born lads playing regularly for us. That brings something special, I think...but maybe it's the football romantic in me talking.

Well he plays for Wales, cause really he was born in Nottingham. But yeah he's Welsh.

I just wanna see more Englishmen in the starting 11 and roster. Miss the days we had Ledley, Walker, KWP, D-Rose, Dier, Dele, Harry, Defoe, Crouchy, Jenas, Hudders, Jakey...

Absolute dream would be to have one or two N17-born lads playing regularly for us. That brings something special, I think...but maybe it's the football romantic in me talking.
"He's one of our own"
We'll never sing that again.... :( :(

I thought it was pretty clear - just assumed people naturally made the distinction between CM & AM - not a biggie though 🤷

If we saw another version of Skipp at Norwich playing this season we'd probably think they were ready too...

I'll trust the club/manager on their targets is all I'm saying and was following it up with saying that 40-50m for a player ready to slot in is fair value & affordable.
Oh I don't disagree, the valuation is there or thereabouts, probably a little high for my taste.

I saw Skipp in the Championship for Norwich and, whilst he was very good, you can see the difference. Wharton has a commanding presence on the pitch, Skipp has a bustling presence. Wharton just looks polished already, and will only get better IMO. If he has the mentality to go with the talent, his ceiling is ridiculously high, again IMO.

I don't think Gallagher would get any significant degree better than he already is, so I'd rather stick my money on Wharton as I honestly believe he will. He's already schooled Gallagher at 19, what's he going to be like a year from now? Two years from now?

If you're good enough, you're old enough, and he's good enough as far as I'm concerned.

You're speaking to a chartered accountant.

Swiss Ramble even did an expose on the EPL during covid, admittedly this graph is now 3 years old, but we haven't withdrawn cash in that time either.

kfp6d5zx7zha1.png

See us there with (0). That means that since we sacked 'Arry we have seen 0 pounds put into the club by owner Joe Lewis. But unlike the Glazers who take money out as the graph shows, our owners have also not done that either. So our unspent profit sits in the club accounts, which as of 2022 report was 283m pounds.

I have approached this debate with respect and civility and you're throwing around the idiot insult, earlier on it was fathead. A bit unnecessary.

FWIW you started by complaining about the non-football activities like concerts, go karts and NFL. These all contribute revenue to the accounts of THFC, not ENIC International or its parent company Tavistock group. Revenue that our accounts categorically can prove are not used to fund ENIC's real estate endeavours you speak of. Or any other of Joe Lewis' ventures.

They sit in the club accounts as unused funds, probably why unlike other clubs we aren't skimping this window worried about FFP issues.

What do you mean we aren't skimping?

We haven't even finished Harry's 100 million yet.

I know ENIC hasn't taken out money from the club. I know it's being reinvested into "The Club". You don't have to convince me of that. But it hasn't translate into Improvements to The Football Team. That is until this season. Tottenham Hotspur FC belongs to ENIC so if the value of the club increases, they get richer. They don't have to Take money out, cause unlike some of us, they don't need it.

But I'm tired of arguing with people like you that seems to get a Hard-on at the value of the club increasing to be The 9th most valuable FC in the world, and being happy with Eric Dier and Sanchez in the Heart of defence for 3 seasons. Two World class coaches speaking openly about the "Clubs" lack of Ambition and They get labeled as "Anti Football". But I guess The Stadium improvements, Hotels and apartments is reason to be Happier.

Levy realises his ship will sink if he doesn't back Ange. I'm Happy that our transfers are reasonably better but I still don't see the Football Team transfers increasing at a proportional rate to our income. I'm still praying Hard for LEVY OUT

The main concern with Gallagher, in my humble opinion, is that he is Chelsea through and through. You cut him open, he bleeds blue. He's been there all his life, that's all he knows. I just don't see how he'd come to us and give his all, especially when we face them. There's just so much bad blood between the two clubs, so much history. As a Chelsea fan not just player, he has to hate our guts.

Bringing him in makes so little sense to me. Has to be tens of players out there with his skillset...and who would be cheaper.

Plus, let the chavy cunts pay for their FFP crimes.

Fwiw Gallagher is a high presing machine - he would absoloutely fit in with our game and he can run for days, being able to call a player like that off the bench around 60 minutes would absoloutely add value and help us see out games, see how how we tend lose a bit of control in matches as we tire and when Skipp/PEH come on we often end up 10 yards+ further back or conceding more counter attacking chances? This would help us keep on the front foot and keep pressing on with our game plan, it would help keep the opponents pinned back in their defensive third - i don't think he's particularly great all round but i can see what his strengths are and why Ange would want that option in the team.
for 50m and helping chavski out of FFP ? Madness

Back
Top Bottom