Brighton vs Tottenham Hotspur (A) - Thursday 28th December 19:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was weird as fuck watching last night. Even at 4-0 it didn't feel like a drubbing. 2 penalties and an absolute worldy of a goal. 3 of their 4 goals were basically avoidable and out of nowhere. Only their first goal was from a well worked move by them.
It's not like we looked clueless at the other end, we had plenty of good chances. A foot offside, the post at either end, a few times where a pass wasn't quite right etc. IMO, we played pretty well from the middle forward, but did some daft shit at the back, like giving away 2 needless penalties and leaving a man (small child) unmarked.

Across various social media platforms, there are plenty of fans losing their minds out us playing out from the back and playing a high line still, despite our defensive frailties.
You're right. Didn't feel like a drubbing. Felt more like a tonking....!

Well that should have been using the money for Johnson to buy eze or olise. But Ange wanted Johnson who cannot beat a man for pace ( his only real attribute) , can skill a man, doesn’t press, doesn’t track back check 3rd goal , so lazy, crossing is generally meh and is never gonna get the goals or assists. His hold up play is no existent as his too weak. General one touch two touch passing is shit and never really makes any great movement.
Why DID we buy Johnson?

Bloody hell I was fuming yesterday. First game of the season where I thought we were clearly second best throughout most of the game. Brighton were really sharp with their passing.

For me Hojbjerg was the biggest problem despite playing slightly better towards the end of the game. The 6 is the most important position in the squad in terms of building up and controlling the tempo we want to set, and he is just not good enough. Every game he’s played this season he’s been the biggest issue in possession and severely limits us. Drives me crazy!

Bloody hell I was fuming yesterday. First game of the season where I thought we were clearly second best throughout most of the game. Brighton were really sharp with their passing.

For me Hojbjerg was the biggest problem despite playing slightly better towards the end of the game. The 6 is the most important position in the squad in terms of building up and controlling the tempo we want to set, and he is just not good enough. Every game he’s played this season he’s been the biggest issue in possession and severely limits us. Drives me crazy!
You are 100% correct people won't see it with him unless he is putting through his own net. But it's a pivotal position in the way we play. His manifest inability to advance the ball from deep killed us. He literally can not play on the half turn at all. Throw in Kulusevski failing to find the simplist forward pass and getting constantly dispossessed we were rotten. Then your reliant on four fullbacks to defend a highline.....💣

Tick tick boom!

Brighton weren't missing anyone that affects their system and style of play though. So it's irrelevant.

We lost because we are missing 10 players through injuries and suspension, have ran those starters into the ground and our third string can't play the way we want to.

It's literally that simple.
Then the excuse is that we're dealing with too many injuries - that's my point, shifting the blame to tiredness implies it's the match schedule. It really isn't, it's basically the same for everyone including our opponents.

We lost because we have a major injury crisis effecting the entire spine of our squad - 2 first choice CBs and 3 first choice MFs all out along with several other players.

We also lost because we played 2 fullbacks at CB. Meanwhile we sat 3 CBs on the bench. I reiterate, I don't care if the CBs are Dier and kids - Ange doesn't get off without blame for getting thumped like that playing fullbacks in the centre. If they're not judged fit to play, what were 3 of them doing on the bench?

Phillips needs to be loaned out if we aren't going to play him. We're going to ruin another young player not allowing him matches, we've been doing it for several years now across several managers. If he's not a better CB than Emerson Royal, then he ought to be elsewhere.

Then the excuse is that we're dealing with too many injuries - that's my point, shifting the blame to tiredness implies it's the match schedule. It really isn't, it's basically the same for everyone including our opponents.

We lost because we have a major injury crisis effecting the entire spine of our squad - 2 first choice CBs and 3 first choice MFs all out along with several other players.

We also lost because we played 2 fullbacks at CB. Meanwhile we sat 3 CBs on the bench. I reiterate, I don't care if the CBs are Dier and kids - Ange doesn't get off without blame for getting thumped like that playing fullbacks in the centre. If they're not judged fit to play, what were 3 of them doing on the bench?

Phillips needs to be loaned out if we aren't going to play him. We're going to ruin another young player not allowing him matches, we've been doing it for several years now across several managers. If he's not a better CB than Emerson Royal, then he ought to be elsewhere.
Yeah agree with this, can't understand why, we are continuing with FBs at CB , which isn't working.
We was fortunate against forest and Everton, the luck ran out last night, and it should have been a heavier scoreline.
Can't keep using tiredness as an excuse, the team last night bar the keeper were dreadful, nobody showed up at al.
These results are familiar to Tottenham fans, with the same response from players that "we need to learn from this" but they never do.

Yeah agree with this, can't understand why, we are continuing with FBs at CB , which isn't working.
We was fortunate against forest and Everton, the luck ran out last night, and it should have been a heavier scoreline.
Can't keep using tiredness as an excuse, the team last night bar the keeper were dreadful, nobody showed up at al.
These results are familiar to Tottenham fans, with the same response from players that "we need to learn from this" but they never do.
I'm fully behind Ange of course but some of his choices seem more bloody-mindedness than reasoned.

Dier hasn't been without his occasional wobble (who in our team hasn't) but he's done a job when he's been subbed on and not sure he's justified being dropped for the next game, especially for Royal of all people.

If Dier can't work within the system, I can't we can't look to Philips at this point. I know he's 18 but 18 year olds are regularly playing in other teams. Brighton's 18YO scored against us. If Ange didn't believe any of these people could step in, why sell Sanchez? Was he worse than all the other options?

They didn't have two fullbacks playing at centre back though.

In fairness, that shouldn't have mattered because on paper, our forwards should have been good enough to apply pressure. But every single one of them were dogshit until the 80th minute.
Indeed! They had Pedro ok he caused problems but we had £47M BJ, £60M, works class Son and kulu who some think is a world beater. They mustered nothing for the most part and offered no creativity with an individual bit of skill or pass. The wide players in this system need to offer creativity by beating people and putting good crosses. As for our playmaker who is supposed control the game he never came back to get the ball off the CBs or PEH. MADDs would be all over the pitch demanding the ball and trying to make things happen either taking on people, making short to mid distant passes forward or little one twos. How often do you see kulu make any sort of pass cutting through the lines. Offered nothing defensively either.

I'm fully behind Ange of course but some of his choices seem more bloody-mindedness than reasoned.

Dier hasn't been without his occasional wobble (who in our team hasn't) but he's done a job when he's been subbed on and not sure he's justified being dropped for the next game, especially for Royal of all people.

If Dier can't work within the system, I can't we can't look to Philips at this point. I know he's 18 but 18 year olds are regularly playing in other teams. Brighton's 18YO scored against us. If Ange didn't believe any of these people could step in, why sell Sanchez? Was he worse than all the other options?

Phillips: has been injured until very recently.

Sanchez: Didn't think it was wise to sell him at that late stage; but it would appear he was keen to go..... Galatasary was a good move for him.... League challenges and CL each season all but guaranteed.

Dier v Emerson is a toss up........

Emerson:
Pro's: Defensively pro-active. Decent pace.
Cons': Poor in the air. Prone to weak passes.

Dier:
Pro's: Decent in the air.
Con's Defensively passive. Slow. Prone to weak passes.

Both posts 100% accurate.
We lose = tiredness. Pathetic!
Go through the team and see how many minutes they have all played. I’d say Vic, Porto, kulu and son played the most this season and that is one game / week. The others have all missed games through suspension, injury or not being picked.

I'm behind the manager as well, let's face it, who is going to make a success out of this club, so we might as well just enjoy the football.
But yes I agree, he caused part of the problem last night by playing people out of position.
If he is fit, then fucking play the lad, that was a shit show last night, and over the years I've seen plenty trust me.
But a lot of that was self inflicted, from management and players alike, I turned it off at 2-0, because I saw what was coming.
Yes we have injuries, although to so many does make me wonder if they are being over trained, but like I said earlier, teams have realised that, if you push up high we really struggle, and so it's proved lately.
Last night was a case of, it finally all backfired on us and should have been a bigger scoreline than it was.

Its gonna happen and we shouldn't be too surprised, we have top players out and it does impact the way we play.
Big Ange plays one way , attack,attack , attack but really he should realise he hasnt got Romero, VdV,Maddison,Bissouma which is the spine of the team.
Thing is this attack attack attack where was it yday for 80 mins. We hardly peppered their goal with shots or good chances exclude the offsides. This is the thing people fall into the trap of a misconception bcos we are known for attacking style under Ange. We hardly mustered 5 passes together in the first half and we certainly weren’t carving them open like they were to us.

Back
Top Bottom