Spurs vs Chelsea. 6 Nov 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also...

We weren't getting a draw by defending the edge of the box for 45 minutes with 9 men and only 1 CB. Not a chance.

Is that really true though Steve? This Chelsea team has really struggled to break teams down. We struggled to break down 9 man Liverpool.

I don't even think we had to go full bus park, but just drop maybe 10-20 yards.

And, as I said above, if your are going to hold a line, you have to work smarter at pressing the ball ahead of that line. lets be honest here, Chelsea racked up the highest XG in the PL this season last night.

We didn't really create anything until we went 2-1 down and took even bigger risks, which then led to us going 3-1 and 4-1.

If tactics like this are what are going to go with Ange and all the good stuff, I'll take it, because looking forward to football every week trumps winning the league or cups for me, you could call it brave, but the logical part of my brain can't call last night "smart". IMO the high line with 9 men and Dier/Hojbjerg as CB's, with poor ball pressure was even more likely to yield up a goal than being a bit more defensively pragmatic.

Is that really true though Steve? This Chelsea team has really struggled to break teams down. We struggled to break down 9 man Liverpool.

I don't even think we had to go full bus park, but just drop maybe 10-20 yards.

And, as I said above, if your are going to hold a line, you have to work smarter at pressing the ball ahead of that line. lets be honest here, Chelsea racked up the highest XG in the PL this season last night.

We didn't really create anything until we went 2-1 down and took even bigger risks, which then led to us going 3-1 and 4-1.

If tactics like this are what are going to go with Ange and all the good stuff, I'll take it, because looking forward to football every week trumps winning the league or cups for me, you could call it brave, but the logical part of my brain can't call last night "smart". IMO the high line with 9 men and Dier/Hojbjerg as CB's, with poor ball pressure was even more likely to yield up a goal than being a bit more defensively pragmatic.
We'll never know. I think we'd have ended up parked on our box because that's what ends up happening when you retreat and try and hang on. I appreciate your tactical criticism, it makes sense, but with 8 outfield players I think it's impossible to put pressure on the ball player and as a team you give that up and retreat to the edge.

Liverpool couldn't get out, couldn't mount anything because of how deep they were and did finally concede anyway. And they had all their best defenders on the pitch, not a third choice CB who hasn't played all season and a CM. And we were bloody clueless that night mostly.

You can't discount the chances created because it was 2-1. The inclination to attack and get forward was there in part because we were determined to as much as possible to get on the front foot.
I realise it's not as tangible as tactics or strategy and so often gets overlooked but mindset, mentality, desire to play a certain way against the odds, incredible effort, did galvanize a team who were known for the opposite until recently. Conte (and I didn't object to him as much as most), chucked the towel in vs Woolwich last season when we went down to ten men.

I must also say the 3 chances created weren't flukes, the 2 free kicks we played for, which showed an intelligent and savvy mentality and the delivery for both was excellent. The Son chance was carved out from open play which is extraordinary when you consider the odds against it.

I think Ange 1) still thought he could get something his way (possibly through stubbornness) and 2) saw an opportunity to push his players to the limit with possibly an eye on the larger and longer impact that such an effort brings ie confidence, belief, togetherness, positivity.

I think we come out of that pretty well - the score at the end doesn't tell the true story - and the players won't go into Saturday deflated and lacking confidence but quite the opposite.

I notice you referenced the battle of the bridge last night which I think is an unfair comparison - that night the whole team lost the plot and allowed Chelsea a way back in. Last night it was only two and they're quite rightly getting some stick for it. The others held it together mostly and pulled together, worked hard and didn't give up. That type of mentality is gold.

I think we should take a longer view - we've put together a decent 15 or 16 players in quick time, a tactical approach which is both attractive and successful so far AND he's created a fantastic team spirit which the game last night will only add to amazingly. The turnaround from last season has been huge.

The suspensions and injury to VDV will hurt us short term but if we continue with the excellent recruitment we've seen so far we can only be positive (whilst still casting a critical eye of course) going forward. I think last night adds to that in a way a bus park wouldn't have, not long term. I appreciate the need for pragmatism in such circumstances and the reasons why but we did witness something extraordinary last night and I think it'll hold us in good stead going forward.

Having to explain jokes to guys with potato-quality avatars is usually something I'd assign to an intern.
Meme Reaction GIF

You’re intern.

You can’t criticise the high line tactic in isolation. It’s part of Ange’s way of thinking that has created the spirit that’s made us successful this season. You can’t divorce it.

Having had a good 24 hours to sit on this performance and result ultimately that 3 points lost is going to have some sort of bearing on our (and their) league position come May.

Long wait to see what that is.

And I would have much preferred they lost their shit, got some injuries and we won 4-1.

James Maddison snaps back at John Terry following Instagram post

‘JT’ up there will Pol Pot, Fred West and Stalin IMO

JT is the perfect example of the kind of human that the premier league has always awarded with favouritism during the sky oligarchy.

He’s a dirty cheat that even his teammates couldn’t trust around their wives.

You only have to look at UTD, Woolwich and Chelsea consistently winning with rapists and abusive cunts in their team to know what they are looking to reward.

They will praise Ange for his integrity but miraculously it will be the JTs of this world, the Parteys and the financially doped City and Newcastle that end up getting lucky when it counts.

Having had a good 24 hours to sit on this performance and result ultimately that 3 points lost is going to have some sort of bearing on our (and their) league position come May.

Long wait to see what that is.

And I would have much preferred they lost their shit, got some injuries and we won 4-1.
That makes two of us , I suspect we are not the only two who prefer us winning 4-1 rather than losing 4-1 . I will monitor agrees to see if I’m right

That makes two of us , I suspect we are not the only two who prefer us winning 4-1 rather than losing 4-1 . I will monitor agrees to see if I’m right

We would all have rather we won than lost.

But there was huge character in that loss.

If we beat wolves and Chelsea get anything off City, it's just a blip.

Of course there are longer term ramifications withbthe injuries and suspensions, but they fought. Fought hard. The score line was not a reflection of the game.

‘JT’ up there will Pol Pot, Fred West and Stalin IMO
Until we turn the results around against them they will always have the last word in those kinds of exchanges.
You have to go route one with Terry ... his Mum, cheating on Bridge, his racism. That's where you hit him. Not suggesting Maddison should go that way, but it is the recipe for success.

I get the sentiment of some of the praise but it doesn't sit well with me.

We lost our heads and got pumped by a shit team. I don't care if Dier or PEH tried hard.
It's embarrassing.

Another implosion against our bitter rivals when they were on the floor with the manager under pressure following another humiliating home defeat to Brentford .

While we had a golden chance to put some distance between ourselves and the pack and capitalise on the weekends good fortune.

We blew it. Pure and simple. Bottled it.

Dr Tottenham in all his glory.

The reaction from some of our fans has been absolutely cringeworthty

Back
Top Bottom