Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I recall forum meltdowns when we learnt that Real Madrid had inserted a buyback clause into Reguilon's contract, and people were scared that they would pay 42 million (or whatever crazy sum it was) to take him back to Spain.

A lot of scouts & coaches have thought he's better than he's proven to be.

Maybe ETH will return him to his swashbuckling Europa League-winning days.

Or maybe he'll send him back to us in January...
I'm increasingly getting the impression ETH doesn't know what he's doing and that we dodged a bullet.

Im not backing levy up here but we did sign a replacement for Kane and that was Richie. We’ve also signed an attacking mid on madders and we’ve signed a top centre half too. Richie was obviously a huge mistake but stop acting like we haven’t spent money. We have
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary..."come again"

Was speaking to my Forest supporting neighbour towards the end of last season.

My prediction to him was Kane goes to Utd, then we bring in players from relegated clubs, namely Maddison, Bamford and Ward-Prowse if he doesn't replace Rice at West Ham.

I suggested Forest would stay up otherwise we would bring in Johnson, which genuinely annoyed him. I certainly haven't studied his play, but he was basically saying he knows they won't be able to hold onto him, but another couple of years would do him good etc. He was gutted to hear there were even ideas of him leaving, which was enough for me to think - probably worth a punt then.

When fans that watch every game don't want a player to leave, it's usually a good sign. So I'm all for Johnson even though I have probably seen him play fewer than 600 minutes personally.
...Bamford???

App/Goal/Asst (since EPL debut- all comps):

23/24 - 4 - 0 - 0
22/23 - 45 - 3 - 1
21/22 - 39 - 8 - 3
20/21 - 32 - 2 - 2

I don't see him covering Maddison in any meaningful sense...... Just another PEH imo.

Not sure you can use last season at Chavs. They were a total mess and he was used badly. At Palace he got as above 11 G/A which isn’t going to match Maddison’s normal 20 G/A but he was at Palace a clear goal threat. Maddison is elite as good as any AM in the whole league Gallagher is just a very decent player.

Was speaking to my Forest supporting neighbour towards the end of last season.

My prediction to him was Kane goes to Utd, then we bring in players from relegated clubs, namely Maddison, Bamford and Ward-Prowse if he doesn't replace Rice at West Ham.

I suggested Forest would stay up otherwise we would bring in Johnson, which genuinely annoyed him. I certainly haven't studied his play, but he was basically saying he knows they won't be able to hold onto him, but another couple of years would do him good etc. He was gutted to hear there were even ideas of him leaving, which was enough for me to think - probably worth a punt then.

When fans that watch every game don't want a player to leave, it's usually a good sign. So I'm all for Johnson even though I have probably seen him play fewer than 600 minutes personally.
Johnson is truly one of their own as well though, been with Forest for nearly his entire life, grew up a supporter as his Dad played for Forest back in the 2000s. I can understand why they'd be gutted to lose him.

hard to get excited
Who is behind these player suggestions? We know Ange wants Johnson. But we could t even go that extra mile to buy another top quality CB. You need at least 3 quality and then May a couple of youngsters. FBs also worrying, davies is just crap and royal for all people lauding him to be a better defender he offers nothing offensively.. even in midfiekd we could have got in plenty of players who were Ava Ila me for good prices but all we’ve been linked with is Gallagher.. there was kudus, Scott, gonckaves, etc.

I posted on this yesterday.
We like shiny, new things to play with. It’s probably a human trait because almost every club’s supporters do the same thing.
It’s the same reason that we praise the non-participants like Spence (and Rodon for years).
And then the shiny, new things tarnish and we want shinier and newer.

I don’t think we tolerate mediocrity any more than other clubs. Our expectations have risen and fallen over the years depending on our circumstances. I can’t think of another set of supporters that has booed so many of its own players over the decades. Of course, I’ve never attended other team’s games as regularly.
WALOB

...Bamford???
It's the sort of signing I expected us to make, not that I wanted us to sign him.

Basically picked a player from the top of my head from each of the main relegation candidates to be our main transfer targets. That's what we do, often unfortunately (not always)

Not sure you can use last season at Chavs. They were a total mess and he was used badly. At Palace he got as above 11 G/A which isn’t going to match Maddison’s normal 20 G/A but he was at Palace a clear goal threat. Maddison is elite as good as any AM in the whole league Gallagher is just a very decent player.

I intended to make 2 points really.

G&As..... 1 good season..... TBC.
Maddison...... Just don't see CG covering that same function (irrespective of G&A tally).

Would be nice to have just one deal closed tonight. But no, we don’t do things that way at Spurs. Now there’s like 7 players that need a move finalized tomorrow; 2-3 incomings, 4-5 outgoings.

Would be nice to have just one deal closed tonight.
Celebrating Bring It GIF by AFC Bournemouth

Back
Top Bottom