Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Obviously, I don't really know, but I guess the process will follow what happened at Celtic where a number of high profile players wanted away before Ange got there.

He simply said to them: this who I am, this is what I want to do here, this is what I think it will take, and this is what you will have to do to be part of it... do you want to be part of it?

Three or four players left, netting Celtic 30-40 mill and he started rebuilding the squad bringing in players who did share the vision and wanted to make the effort.

Different stage and far different level of player, but that's more or less what will happen.
Trouble is, if you want to win in Scotland, you have a vastly bigger pool of players to pick from i.e. lower quality players. Here if you want to win you have to have the cream of the crop. This club will never have the crane off the crop as a bigger club will always buy our best (kane apart until very soon).

The point is people are confusing achieving anything in Scotland with either of the old firm with anything remarkable. That league has gone stale and their results in Europe now reflect that. Scottish teams get beat in the Europa qualifying rounds by teams from Latvia and Iceland. They would struggle hugely in the championship. Their fanbase is addicted to sectarianism and glory seeking (as if beating Inverness could be deemed glorious...) How do you think either would do now v city?
This is where you’re getting confused I think. Your analysis is so fucking simplistic.

I haven’t seen one person yet say because he’s done well in Scotland, he’ll do well here. As you’ve said, success in Scotland is relatively easy to come by (albeit Ange’s success and brand of football does seem to stand out, you reference the number of recent treble’s they won, but most of those were when Rangers were out of action). You’re right that many many shit managers have had success there.

But the comparable ease of winning the SPL does not mean he won’t be a good manager either. You’ve made zero reference to tactical analysis or how his teams setup as any sort of an example of whether he’s a good coach or not. That’s what matters most to me.

A few posts back (I think it was) you said we need a manager with top flight experience from the top 5 leagues. Pep at Barca, Zidane at Madrid and Arteta all lacked that when they went into those roles. 2 of those had incredible success and Arteta has done ok. Of course Pep and Zidane were groomed through their clubs system but you’d likely have been shouting about their appointment if you were a fan of either club at the time.

I’ve seen very little of Celtic under Ange, I like the way he speaks about football but I’ve honestly got no idea if he’s gonna be a success or not.

However, simply diminishing his achievements doesn’t mean he’s shit like you’ve insinuated. Your posts have become tedious and lacking any sort of refreshing tactical analysis about how or why he won’t work for us.

Levy seeing Ange lift a trophy yesterday

Its Over Ghosts GIF by CBS

I love the guy and I'm not even a Celtic fan...

If he comes the narrative that he isn’t wanted by our fanbase without the nuances will be batted about.

Remember when Mourinho was our manager and we had the whole load of Mourinho fans joining the board on the back of him coming. I’m starting to get similar vibes reading this thread over the weekend.

“Financial expertise”. According to the recent Fighting Cock pod.
Haven’t we got them on the board already? He looks a nothing appointment one of those where people will say what does he do. How can you have a football operations chief who has no real football background. Fir examples what dies he know about women’s football?

If he comes the narrative that he isn’t wanted by our fanbase without the nuances will be batted about.

Remember when Mourinho was our manager and we had the whole load of Mourinho fans joining the board on the back of him coming. I’m starting to get similar vibes reading this thread over the weekend.
That’s for sure the headlines now.

Even if it was about 20 knobs on twitter, we are all now #Ange Out!

Reality is most are neither Ange out or Ange in.

Most of us are #get the Fuck on with it #anything (except Rodgers)

Nonsense. He plays attacking football which is what we are crying out for. Poch and jol before him were complete non entity’s when they came here and look how that turned out. I think Ange is exactly what we need and I hope we get him.
This case about playing attacking football is getting a bit tiresome. That is the least we should expect in next hire. However most managers in pl , champo, league 1abd2 play attacking football. Keep saying it his unique in playing attacking football. Might as well be g back ossie.

I think it would be more about JN being a highly rated manager who also plays the type of Football that we desire. The vast majority of the fan base would be happy with the appointment. You wouldn't have as much polarisation as we currently have with Postecoglou.

I've been championing Postecoglou on here as I rate him highly, but I also rate JN and would be very happy if we got him, but then I'm not so polarised as many on here.

I think where you're right though is with his personality. He won't inspire affection from the fans I feel, so he'll be respected, but not held in the same esteem as someone like Poch, who gradually revealed his personality with us, as his English improved, and revealed a loveable character.

If Postecoglou does come, and we see the kind of Football I believe we will, he'll be held in the same esteem as Poch and Jol, hopefully with more success. I don't think JN will.

But then maybe that doesn't matter.
If we got jn then I think we are as steady at a good starting point as almost everyone would be behind the idea. Bar Munn, paratici if his still lurking in the trees and few board members. Levy thought I think would love him. I don’t see know reason why the fans wouldn’t connect with him. I’m sure rb and Hogg fans did.

So you've got nothing football wise other than listening to Celtic fans wank off about beating Dundee after spending 50m and having a wage bill multiples higher?

You simply don't understand, talking about good football means nothing. ... You can't actually explain why he will be at a good enough level to manage us in the Premier League. How many fucking managers talk about style of football then can't deliver when put on a league which is above their pay grade.

Do you honestly believe the spl is in anyway comparable with English football?

Look if he had managed something miraculous with Dundee Hearts Hibs Motherwell st Johnstone or Aberdeen, I'd be onboard. But all has done is won the league with a team who had won 11 of the last 12 titles while outspending the rest of the league combined multiple times over.

Charisma alone won't cut it in the premier league, and frankly neither will a total lack of big league experience.
So where did that get jose and conte pray tell

Oh and I love beating Dundee.

Probably a lot more than you love watching your team fail to win anything whilst an Oil funded club makes an absolutely mockery of your league. 😎
Two oil-funded clubs - keep up mate. We were hoping to be the third, but sadly it hasn't worked out yet.

All this bollocks I'm hearing "we just want attacking football" well no. We need good results. Ossie was attacking and shipping goals to shit teams every week gets old fast.

This club has some of the highest revenues in football and the fans are now so beaten down, they are willing to take whatever coach levy finds in a fucking jumble sale because attacking.

Nagelsmann plays attacking football and was actually good enough to get the gig at Bayern, seemingly fired for non football reasons, a clash of egos. This is the ambitious appointment and we aren't even trying.

Celtic coach, because Levy is pals with some Aussie super agent. Are you really happy with this?
Spot on!

That’s for sure the headlines now.

Even if it was about 20 knobs on twitter, we are all now #Ange Out!

Reality is most are neither Ange out or Ange in.

Most of us are #get the Fuck on with it #anything (except Rodgers)

Even one of the shittest defenders to ever play for us but has now built up a Twitter following in Ramon Vega, so all that is forgotten and apparently his opinion matters, is pushing that narrative.

This is where you’re getting confused I think. Your analysis is so fucking simplistic.

I haven’t seen one person yet say because he’s done well in Scotland, he’ll do well here. As you’ve said, success in Scotland is relatively easy to come by (albeit Ange’s success and brand of football does seem to stand out, you reference the number of recent treble’s they won, but most of those were when Rangers were out of action). You’re right that many many shit managers have had success there.

But the comparable ease of winning the SPL does not mean he won’t be a good manager either. You’ve made zero reference to tactical analysis or how his teams setup as any sort of an example of whether he’s a good coach or not. That’s what matters most to me.

A few posts back (I think it was) you said we need a manager with top flight experience from the top 5 leagues. Pep at Barca, Zidane at Madrid and Arteta all lacked that when they went into those roles. 2 of those had incredible success and Arteta has done ok. Of course Pep and Zidane were groomed through their clubs system but you’d likely have been shouting about their appointment if you were a fan of either club at the time.

I’ve seen very little of Celtic under Ange, I like the way he speaks about football but I’ve honestly got no idea if he’s gonna be a success or not.

However, simply diminishing his achievements doesn’t mean he’s shit like you’ve insinuated. Your posts have become tedious and lacking any sort of refreshing tactical analysis about how or why he won’t work for us.
Are you another one of these fucking levy Bots? What the fuck are you on about! Tactical analysis? He is playing in the spl with a team worth multiples more than other teams. What was you tactical analysis of Celtic in Europe - ops you haven't watched it.....ah enough said.

Seems to be a lot of new posters who don't want to understand that talking about tactics is irrelevant here.

Does he play with two wing backs? Does he play a progressive passing midfield. That only matters if your manager has the actual ability to pull it off in the league your talking about. Stop passing it back ...wtf? Can't wait till we 5 down against Chelsea next season and he starts shouting that out.

Put simply, winning trophies in shit leagues while significantly outspending your opposition is not a tactical master stroke.

Back
Top Bottom