Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Think that’s a bit of an overreaction.

When we first got top 4 it took us a couple seasons staying there to earn trust from agents.

If it wasn’t for their Saudi owners money, agents would be waiting until they see them handle a season of CL and Prem at the same time with no rest for players.

They are on a high right now but it takes more than one season to build a culture of doing this regularly. Even City took ages and if I’m honest, I’m still expecting they want to find an excuse to swap Howe for a bigger name coach at some point..

Agents know the backing they have behind them so there won't be the same worries. Everyone will assume they're now just going to be on the up for the forseeable.

& This is all considering how low we're likely considered right now. Again, no European football, no DoF, no manager, no sense of identity, we don't really develop players .. other than money + London + facilities where's the pull?

If you were the agent of an up and coming player, where would you send your player to?

When we first got top 4 it took us a couple seasons staying there to earn trust from agents.

If it wasn’t for their Saudi owners money, agents would be waiting until they see them handle a season of CL and Prem at the same time with no rest for players.

They are on a high right now but it takes more than one season to build a culture of doing this regularly. Even City took ages and if I’m honest, I’m still expecting they want to find an excuse to swap Howe for a bigger name coach at some point..
That’s why pressure ramps up when you do well. If Woolwich get 2nd next season it means they haven’t progressed. If Newcastle get top 4 again then they haven’t progressed. That will be the narrative for some.
Whoever talks us over gets 5th next year & he will be a legend!

I agree to a large extent....

They have accelerated through the Bellamy/SWP phase (see City trajectory) in impressive speed.... Perhaps now comes the Robhino/merc phase now where the bigger deals come with the a big risk of players looking for a quick stepping stone and a cozy retirement..... There could easily be a few Ndombele's in their future.... Additional factor being the less than glamorous exterior appeal of the city and Howe.

Agents know the backing they have behind them so there won't be the same worries. Everyone will assume they're now just going to be on the up for the forseeable.

& This is all considering how low we're likely considered right now. Again, no European football, no DoF, no manager, no sense of identity, we don't really develop players .. other than money + London + facilities where's the pull?

If you were the agent of an up and coming player, where would you send your player to?
Newcastle are the safer bet in the Long term unless enic sell up or change massively. We were a bigger draw but I’d say it’s very close now but if the player focuses on football reasons then Newcastle is the better option. Some might join us for the lack of pressure, good money & London living.

By the time the cheque-books come out we may very well have European football, a DOF and a manager.

TBC.

By the time the cheque-books come out we may very well have European football, a DOF and a manager.

TBC.

It's going to be Conference League at best (nobody moves to a club for conference league football) - fair on DoF and manager but clubs are in all likelihood putting out feelers already, so..

The atmosphere around both clubs are polar opposites atm and that will feed through to agents, players etc.

It's going to be Conference League at best (nobody moves to a club for conference league football) - fair on DoF and manager but clubs are in all likelihood putting out feelers already, so..

The atmosphere around both clubs are polar opposites atm and that will feed through to agents, players etc.

Which top players did top 4 ever get us that we couldn’t get without it?

I tend to assume no-one moves explicitly for EL either..... Even CL (by itself) isn't necessarily a draw (unless you're reaching out to players that aren't appealing to CL regulars in which case big wages won't necessarily be a central part of negotiations anyway cos you'll be primarily offering opportunity). The buying quality players from big clubs 'shelf' is a tough one to reach 'overnight'..... It requires a combo of wages, CL and a bit of sustained credibility/silverware.

Like I said in my other post...... The potential pitfalls are now the Ndombele's, Robhino's of this world...... It's easy to spend 30/40/50m these days and not get a great deal for your money. Let's face it Guimares could have easily been a bust.... Paqueta still has it all to prove.... They just spaffed 40m on the div from Everton who's already put himself on the fringes. It's the exact profile of signing that we've lacked a bit of luck with when being a more credible destination/so-called CL club.

I guess an example of some of this would be Lester.... They'd just won the EPL but although on paper it would have made sense to grab 3 world class players and cement themselves; it wasn't a path truly available to them..... I think generally you need a 2/3 years on the bigger radar.

Domestically and especially through a fan perspective; 100%....... From inside the machine motivations are often less clear.

For instance; regardless of whether we're in the mix for him or not, Madison to NC just doesn't strike me as the kind of stature/vibe he'd have had in mind when thinking of his last big move.

It's imperative we get the new gaffa/DOF nailed first and foremost...... Get that done in suitable time and - europe or no europe - I'll relax a lot more.

Last edited:
Which top players did top 4 ever get us that we couldn’t get without it?

"Top" players being contentious, but for perspective:

- Van Der Vaart - fitness caveats but probably wouldn't have come otherwise.
- Aurier (only cited because of where he came from and his perceived level at the time) - We were CL qualified.
- Ndombele/GLC - We were repeat CL qualified.
- Romero - No CL at the time.
- Bissouma - CL cited as a decisive factor.
- Porro - CL unconfirmed at time of signing.
- Dybala - Seemingly didn't giev a shit for us or Man U despite CL.
- L.Diaz - We had CL but he still kept us on ice as he prefered the dippers.

Super-stars (or those with mega-hype) generally wanna see that trophies are already in the cabinet before they come.

Last edited:
Not really a surprise if Kim joins Man Utd. (and not Spurs)...

Kim Min-jae AGREES Man Utd move with Napoli star ironing out final details

Kim Min-jae ‘AGREES Man Utd transfer with Napoli star ironing out final details before joining Ten Hag’s men’​

• Published: 14:07, 15 May 2023
MANCHESTER UNITED are closing in on the signing of Napoli star Kim Min-jae, according to reports.
The player has supposedly agreed to join the club with just the final details left to be sorted.

Not really a surprise if Kim joins Man Utd. (and not Spurs)...

Kim Min-jae AGREES Man Utd move with Napoli star ironing out final details

Kim Min-jae ‘AGREES Man Utd transfer with Napoli star ironing out final details before joining Ten Hag’s men’​

MANCHESTER UNITED are closing in on the signing of Napoli star Kim Min-jae, according to reports.
The player has supposedly agreed to join the club with just the final details left to be sorted.

Not that worried.

Seems there is a lot of hype for the player that Napoli are prepared to sell out of their stars.

Would be great if Utd overrated massively like they always do

Not that worried.

Seems there is a lot of hype for the player that Napoli are prepared to sell out of their stars.

Would be great if Utd overrated massively like they always do

Release clause, mate.... They can't stop him unless they can get him to agree a new deal there instead.

Is Kokcu better than Hojberg..? Or our other cms ?

I like him. In the MacAllister, Gundogan, Kamada mould of player. Not as measured in his actions as the first two mentioned, has a bit of that Bruno Fernandes tendency to make things happen with shots and hopeful through balls. He won't ever be as good as Gundogan obviously but he seems to be consistently improving with each season. Big physical improvement in him the last year or more.. when I first watched him I didn't think he was mobile enough for PL

Back
Top Bottom