January 2023 Transfer Thread. The Big One

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A
I really thought we were going to get a lot more out of Sessegnon this season but he's been absolutely terrible. The most annoying thing is hearing and seeing people say that he's short of confidence... He could be the most confident lad in the world and it wouldn't make up for all his technical deficiency. Crossing, touch, passing all so poor. I actually think he's a competent defender and times his runs very well but he just has nothing to offer when the ball is at his feet.
I agree. He was a fantastic prospect but unfortunately he has just not progressed. No better now that when he was purchased. Some players just don't get any better than their under 19 self.

Not with Conte at the helm , we sit back

I will maintain until my dying breath, that the game plan isn't to sit back. We sit back because we aren't good enough to win the ball back and keep it against teams who are aggressive. As soon as we fall back we struggle.
The above are all Conte-Tottenham games where we played the whole game on the front foot and smashed the opposition.

That's just a few off the top of my head.
We need to get back to playing without fear. The fear, IMO, is born out of the error prone defence and everyone last ditch defending all the time.

Is it just me that thinks Reguilon is a good squad member? Not first choice (he loses a fair few duels) but decent backup? Surely he's better than Sessegnon ?
If it was a choice of him or Sess, than it's him every day. Much more potent in the final third but I feel we could, or should do better than the both of them.

There's always a chance a player will develop into a baller but how long do you wait? I feel Sess has had enough time, and been through enough managers for it to have clicked at least once. I just don't see it. Too timid. Problem is, his transfer fee and wages will hamper us selling him, unless the club cut their losses which is unlikely. He's a 10m player at most.

This and 5 out of the the 8 players out on loan (Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon, Rodon, Winks) generally on high wages so buying clubs not keen to take them is the reason why we are restricted on numbers coming in, and why I'm not surprised Doherty needed to go..

When Reguilon was signed, a Spanish international, not wanted back at Barcelona from his Seville loan as Barca had other LB's, I thought he'd be a very good pick up. Sadly not the case.

In the summer Lloris contract runs out as does Moura so that's 2 overseas trained players places which become vacant ..... and we already have spaces in the Association trained places, so an HG goalkeeper or HG player in any other position the squad needs to fill of the right quality is the way to go.

This and 5 out of the the 8 players out on loan (Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon, Rodon, Winks) generally on high wages so buying clubs not keen to take them is the reason why we are restricted on numbers coming in, and why I'm not surprised Doherty needed to go..

When Reguilon was signed, a Spanish international, not wanted back at Barcelona from his Seville loan as Barca had other LB's, I thought he'd be a very good pick up. Sadly not the case.

In the summer Lloris contract runs out as does Moura so that's 2 overseas trained players places which become vacant ..... and we already have spaces in the Association trained places, so an HG goalkeeper or HG player in any other position the squad needs to fill of the right quality is the way to go.

Lloris contract is until 2024. I'd imagine we'll give him a free transfer but he can always refuse.

Lloris contract is until 2024. I'd imagine we'll give him a free transfer but he can always refuse.

Apologies, it is to 2024.

I thought we had given him a one year extension but it was a 2 year extension in 2022.

He's decided to decline future France call ups and retire, so I wonder if he will now be happy to move on to MLS, which is what he's always said he wanted to do

Oh we definitely were struck by injuries at a very inconvenient time, but early on in the season we had a fit Richarlison who's bulk of minutes were coming from subbing for Deki, while Son continued to be a passenger week in week out.

Surley though; that's less of a reluctance to play Richy and more to do with who Conte felt needed to be dropped....?

There are some rose tinted glasses on today. I think people are forgetting just how average Reguilon was.

But he was very good for Sevilla, just like Porro has been for Sporting. That's why I'm reserving judgement on Porro until I see him perform here. Something about Spurs that turns the majority of signings into shit.

Back
Top Bottom