Man Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur | Wednesday 19th Oct | KO 20:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were trying to play counter attack and draw them forward but the second goal was a counter attack by them on us, we lost the ball near their penalty area and within 20 seconds it was a goal conceded.

My wife went to bed early because of my shouting at the telly…..
When I went to bed she asks if my millionaire footballers had got beaten by the other millionaire footballers…. Never thought of it like that before.🤔

Mick Cooper
Romanzo
Gretinousgoat
Harrowcoys
Spiderspurs
Spurspen

Come on give us some positivity about last night!
There’s nothing positive to take from last night. That doesn’t mean the club are in disarray or that Conte is shit.

It means we had a seriously fucking awful display in a season that thus far has been pretty promising.

I think our approach was; we're going to be knocking the ball about in our own 18yrd box, and when you come to try and win it we'll pass around you and score on the counter attack.

The trouble is we're not good enough to do it.

My wife went to bed early because of my shouting at the telly…..
When I went to bed she asks if my millionaire footballers had got beaten by the other millionaire footballers…. Never thought of it like that before.🤔
They can cry into their Jacuzzi's whist being massaged by their WAGS.

Putting football out of mind for a few days after that, but still disappointed he didn't change something up after 55 or so mins. Sessegnon, Lenglet, Lucas/Gil and a switch to 3-4-3.. even move Perisic to RW. From about minute 15 on it was just an insipid display. Tough game vs Newcastle now, a win important with Chelsea and United facing off at the weekend.

Mick Cooper
Romanzo
Gretinousgoat
Harrowcoys
Spiderspurs
Spurspen

Come on give us some positivity about last night!
You should try the @ function if you want to engage, though suspect you’re just trolling.

Positives are, it’s only a game, can’t get much worse & a lot of season left to turn it round.

Hugo was excellent & what about our fans singing loud & proud despite a shit performance & long, late trek, back.

Not sure anyone thinks we played well past 10 mins? Doesn’t mean we have to melt down, scream for Contes head & stop supporting our club, our one & only club (at least for most here anyway).

:dembelefingers:

btw that’s a V for victory sign. Don’t cry.

Last edited:
On reflection the most fucking infuriating thing about last night is how we allowed their shitty press to take us off our rhythm.

Chelsea and Woolwich both pressed us really well and forced mistakes to their credit, but we shouldn’t be allowing a front 3 of Rash, Sancho and Anthony affect our first touch in the way it did on so many occasions. We saw it with the goal conceded against Frankfurt too (Dier). We don’t like a press.

We looked so fucking nervous in possession and I don’t think it’s excusable against this Utd side.

When we were playing at our best last season, we seemed to be able to bypass the press more easily with a ball directly into Kane’s feet to feed runs from Son and Kulu either side. We almost invited the press because we liked that pattern of play.

That caused some hesitancy in the press from opponents.

That seems to have been lost as an option, and instead we’re left with mostly average footballers in our back 5 panicking at the first sign of any coordinated pressure.

On top of that the 3 CMs were too flat yesterday, not enough movement into the space between MF and attack to help break that press.

Conte has to think about how we are going to play against high press teams. We don’t have a formula that works right now.

I’m really struggling to get too wound up by our defeats at the moment. Whilst over the top happy with our wins
sensible chuckle GIF

Davidson Sanchez perhaps.
But Ndombele and Lo Celso were clearly club as opposed to MoPo buys. The former especially. MoPo wouldn’t play him at all. Moreover, it happened so much later than was required and with such desperation that it didn’t help us at all.
Not so sure about Sess either way.
I wouldn’t put Walker and Trippier on MoPo. Again, that was the club, like when they sold Dembele, a player who would have been a real asset for us in the champs league final.
Our transfer activity has been shocking.
As usually, we were promised the world and the club failed to deliver in the summer.
Every player we signed this summer was a cheaper option or not right for the system.

You must be smoking something if you think Levy is going to spend £60m on Ndombele, £50m on Lo Celso and £35m on Sessegnon (who Poch was bigging up before purchase) without Poch having his gonads in a vice.

They are three of the most expensive players that Spurs have ever bought.

Dembele was already a pensioner when he left, and sadly well past his best, so no he wasn't a CL player when he left.

Sadly from 2016 until Paratici arrived (4 wasted years in transfer market) , pretty much all the incoming players were poor, Sanchez (another Poch player after being watched in an EL cup final match) possibly the best of them, which is why our squad is mainly from the pre-Poch era plus players brought in by Paratici and very few from the Poch era.

First post here - long time glory glory poster / lurker. A lack of rotation is of course concerning, but our tactics do leave a lot to be desired too. We work really hard to work the ball into attacking positions in the oppositions half only to end up with either Ben Davies or typically Emerson on the ball. We struggle struggle struggle moving the ball up the pitch from a ludicrously precarious and deep starting point, only to then launch attacks through what are literally our worst attacking players.

It feels like we always have either a centre back or one of our wingbacks with questionable ball playing skills moving forwards with the ball in the space between the half way line and the opponents final third. It’s maddening.

Welcome to the mad house - BTW good post.

Back
Top Bottom