Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only time will tell. But if he's not good enough to crack their first XI, then he shouldn't be good enough for England.

And I'd trust Pep's judgement over Southgates all day long.
Man City does not operate with a "strict" starting XI, so going by your logic then neither Walker, Stones, Grealish or Foden are good enough for England either as none of them are guaranteed starters.

Wouldn't at all mind us taking a chance on this guy.

L’Équipe report today that Bayer Leverkusen would not be looking to let go of in-form French winger Moussa Diaby for less than €100m, should he leave this coming summer.

This is why I don't understand the fear from some fans of spending £60m+ on top players who aren't guaranteed to start every game. To be at the top you need 2 quality players in every position.
You don’t have to spend £60m for top players. Kulu? Diaz? Jota? I’m far from convinced Richarlison or Raphinia are worthy of that level of fee

He thinks he’s a right wing back

Confused Donald Trump GIF

You don’t have to spend £60m for top players. Kulu? Diaz? Jota? I’m far from convinced Richarlison or Raphinia are worthy of that level of fee
We’ve bought well recently so not every future deal has to be amazing value for money. If we have to overpay for a good player, do it - the fees paid for Bissouma, Kulu and Benta and the increase in value offset 60M either of those two

I would like us to sign him but I don’t think we will - hopeful we pivot to a RWB levels above. Ideally James (<2 years on deal) or Hakimi (unhappy at the PSG circus and Conte heritage).

I would love Hakimi too, not sure I believe those unhappy rumours though. Reece will be interesting to see what happens re his renewal.

Ultimately I think we will end up with Spence and I’m kinda excited to see how he and Sess develop under Conte.

I would love Hakimi too, not sure I believe those unhappy rumours though. Reece will be interesting to see what happens re his renewal.

Ultimately I think we will end up with Spence and I’m kinda excited to see how he and Sess develop under Conte.
Yeah Spence has plenty of potential, as does Sessegnon

Hakimi or James would elevate us to potential title winners. Chelsea have to sell surely if he won’t sign, and the new fella won’t care about the Spurs / Levy redline that Roman had. Hugely unlikely but you gotta aim high. If Hakimi was 75M and it meant no other signings this summer, I would be ok with that

Yeah Spence has plenty of potential, as does Sessegnon

Hakimi or James would elevate us to potential title winners. Chelsea have to sell surely if he won’t sign, and the new fella won’t care about the Spurs / Levy redline that Roman had. Hugely unlikely but you gotta aim high. If Hakimi was 75M and it meant no other signings this summer, I would be ok with that

Still think a LCB has to be a priority along with RWB. Davies improved alot last season, however, if he does get injured we are kinda fucked.

I do agree that the new Chelsea owner will likely not be adverse to dealing with us, and would be very interesting to see what happens with Reece. Besides United, where else would he go in UK? City and Liverpool and sorted in that position.

The fact that we seem to be looking at Richarlison and Raphinha does give me some confidence that we appear to be moving away from the "back up" signing, and more looking at players to actually compete with our current front 3.

I've got nothing but love for Son, Kane, and Deki, but a big reason why they're undroppable is because we've got nobody to bring on instead.
Not to say we're currently in the same league as City or Pool but both clubs do show that you can have multiple extremely talented players fighting over the same position. Without attempting to do that we'll always struggle to consistently finish top 4 while also aiming for silverware.
Absolutely brilliant post, sir. If we could have a post of the month award this would get my vote

Everythings good, no massive rush👍👍
This is the kind of signing I don’t understand why we don’t just pay the money and get him. Apparently Boro want 15 million for the guy, that is quite literally pennies for a Champions League PL club now. Why don’t we just pay it if the manager wants him?

We have previous for doing this with Championship players too. Sessengnon and Grealish spring to mind.

We could have got Sessengnon for much cheaper than the eventual 30 million we had to pay for him and we could have got Grealish for a very decent price too if we had just stopped dithering.

Man City does not operate with a "strict" starting XI, so going by your logic then neither Walker, Stones, Grealish or Foden are good enough for England either as none of them are guaranteed starters.
Well that kind of answers the question that was put to me then and backs up my original point that Phillips signing for City is good news for England

The fact that we seem to be looking at Richarlison and Raphinha does give me some confidence that we appear to be moving away from the "back up" signing, and more looking at players to actually compete with our current front 3.

I've got nothing but love for Son, Kane, and Deki, but a big reason why they're undroppable is because we've got nobody to bring on instead.
Not to say we're currently in the same league as City or Pool but both clubs do show that you can have multiple extremely talented players fighting over the same position. Without attempting to do that we'll always struggle to consistently finish top 4 while also aiming for silverware.

A top team has 2 good players per position that the manager trusts.

GK - Lloris, Forster - check

CB’s - Romero, Davies, Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga, Rodon - need 2 CB’s

Wings backs - Perisic, Sessegnon, Regulion, Royal, Doherty - need 1 WB (assume Spence)

Midfield - Skipp, Bissouma, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Winks, Sarr - need maybe one more if Winks is off and Sarr is loaned.

Attack - Kane, Son, Kulusevski, Lucas, Berg - need 2 more assuming Lucas and Berg aren’t trusted.

That’s about 6 players more needed for Conte to have a squad that would be considered a top team IMO. Spence is coming, we have been linked with getting a striker and 2 CB’s so not far off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom