Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Noted JT - you admit you're in the minority and as such anything you say that isn't constructive (so 90% of your posts) are just background noise. At last we are on the same page.
Glad you're at least admitting you once again made a foolish, ill thought reply to my post rather than reading it first and replying constructively.

Progress, I suppose.

Last edited:
That mostly happened because of the growth of football generally, and especially the EPL.

Spurs missed on a lot of growth by way of consistent and perrenial CL berths and the money that comes, the massive fan increase that comes with winning the EPL and or CL, and the star power in terms of players that would have followed.

Look behind the curtain to see that ENIC isn't much more than a holding company, using football's general global growth of the last two decades to grow their holding.

They're no different than a real estate holding company.

But they're actually a football company. A CEO of an actual football company with its expectations of growth would have been fired, yes.

That's just plain wrong the EPL's value is up about 300% since 2001 whilst Spurs value is up about 1600%. Claiming that's broadly similar is simply not true.

ENIC are not just a football company it has many subordinate companies. The football is primarily controlled by the companies below THFC, largely split between THFACL and THSL.

Levy is the MD of ENIC group of Companies (1995), he is the Chairman of THFC (2001)

At least get the facts straight before starting to fire people.

FYI - The entirely seperate property division is structured as follows, DL is one of it's Directors.

Glad you're at least admitting you once again made a foolish, ill thought reply to my post rather than reading it first and replying constructively.

Progress, I suppose.

Massive progress - when whining you have confirmed that you are a noisy minority - when making constructive comments then you are valued the same as the rest of us.

Let's hope we see more of the constructive stuff and less of the minority whining ... can we expect that?

That's just plain wrong the EPL's value is up about 300% since 2001 whilst Spurs value is up about 1600%. Claiming that's broadly similar is simply not true.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Makes our one piddling single league cup a decade and a half ago, and Levy's monologue of financial hardship to justify his tight hold on the purse strings even more nauseating when you think about it

:sonhmm:

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Makes our one piddling single league cup a decade and a half ago, and Levy's monologue of financial hardship to justify his tight hold on the purse strings even more nauseating when you think about it

:sonhmm:
Real estate costs money.

I'd also be curious to see how much real estate is up in that time. It's probably far closer to Tottenham's value growth than the EPL.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

That mostly happened because of the growth of football generally, and especially the EPL.

Spurs missed on a lot of growth by way of consistent and perrenial CL berths and the money that comes, the massive fan increase that comes with winning the EPL and or CL, and the star power in terms of players that would have followed.

Look behind the curtain to see that ENIC isn't much more than a holding company, using football's general global growth of the last two decades to grow their holding.

But they're actually a football company. A CEO of an actual football company with its expectations of growth would have been fired, yes.
The first part of this is completely true.
It’s disingenuous in that the explosion In football happened before/ around ENICs tenure and we’ve had to play catch-up since. No-one was talking about missed Champions League spots under previous ownerships.

The rest is pure bollocks which ignores history. We were a bottom half / barely top half club at the start of ENIC’s tenure. The chance of getting to a UCL Final????? Zero to none

The utter crap that’s posted on here because bald man = bad.

Last edited:
The first part of this is completely true.
It’s disingenuous in that the explosion In football happened before/ around ENICs tenure and we’ve had to play catch-up since. No-one was talking about missed Champions League spots under previous ownerships.

The rest is pure bollocks which ignores history. We were a bottom half / barely top half club at the start of ENIC’s tenure. The chance of getting to a UCL Final????? Zero to none

The utter crap that’s posted on here because bald man = bad.
True but that is just one simplistic view. 10/15 years prior we were one of the biggest and most ambitious clubs in the country for years and years. ENIC haven’t seen our stature rebound to pre Sugar standing

True but that is just one simplistic view. 10/15 years prior we were one of the biggest and most ambitious clubs in the country for years and years. ENIC haven’t seen our stature rebound to pre Sugar standing
And Samarkand was once a great city and Old Etonians were the best soccer club in England.

Sometimes, seismic shifts occur and if you sleep….

Not being funny, but I wonder how many of the current critics were fans when we fell from grace?
Not many judging by the responses that tell me that 1995 was on a par with 1985.

Here's the problem with this theory: if Levy's failure to get Spurs to the pinnacle had mostly to do with lack of transfer and squad spending, and not the massive fact that the dynamics of the football economy have been ripped to shreds and redrafted by financial doping, explain why Woolwich and United are where they are these days? Both clubs have invested heavily, and both make huge revenues.

Liverpool cracked it by smashing success in recruitment, truly an astounding an unparalleled success rate.

Levy has absolutely made critical errors, namely not delegating football to a football expert. But the vast majority of the inability to get over is the headwind of financial doping, not the small effect of the anchor drag that is Levy.

We absolutely wasted our best chance in 16-18. But that's as much on Poch and the squad that totally capitulated as it is on Levy. Plenty of blame to share around there.

If Liverpool persist through another squad rebuild once Salah, et al fuck off the chase the truly big bucks, I'll be amazed.

Here's the problem with this theory: if Levy's failure to get Spurs to the pinnacle had mostly to do with lack of transfer and squad spending, and not the massive fact that the dynamics of the football economy have been ripped to shreds and redrafted by financial doping, explain why Woolwich and United are where they are these days? Both clubs have invested heavily, and both make huge revenues.

Liverpool cracked it by smashing success in recruitment, truly an astounding an unparalleled success rate.

Levy has absolutely made critical errors, namely not delegating football to a football expert. But the vast majority of the inability to get over is the headwind of financial doping, not the small effect of the anchor drag that is Levy.

We absolutely wasted our best chance in 16-18. But that's as much on Poch and the squad that totally capitulated as it is on Levy. Plenty of blame to share around there.

If Liverpool persist through another squad rebuild once Salah, et al fuck off the chase the truly big bucks, I'll be amazed.
I don't see what football financial doping has to do with voluntarily not refreshing a squad badly in need of refreshing for two transfer seasons.

Football is such an odd BUSINESS.

It’s the only one I know where the consumer demands that the owner subsidizes the product as a matter of entitlement.

I don't see what football financial doping has to do with voluntarily not refreshing a squad badly in need of refreshing for two transfer seasons.
Fear of failure, given our spotty track record of success in recruitment? We thought we were really close to accomplishing something, so instead of selling some players and buying some new ones we held firm (even when it meant letting Eriksen and Toby run down their contracts) because we were afraid of blowing our shot.

We ended up blowing our shot anyway. And then, very quickly, the dopers (City and Chelsea) got their shit back in order and our brief window slammed shut. We couldn't buy a trophy now if we spend £200M.

Levy's short sighted investment policy in the mid to late 2010s cost this club a rare opportunity to be entrenched in the upper echelon of global super clubs.

Levy's short sighted investment policy tbf got us to a new training ground, new stadium, champs league final, has us down as 4th biggest net spenders since 2018 and invited to the European Super League (but none of you wanted in)......

I'd say we're pretty entrenched in the upper echelon of super clubs.

The problem really is you're too impatient to wait for the stadium to fully realise its revenue and potential.

Suppose we should have stayed at the old training ground and WHL, we were really kicking on and splashing out on superstars back then.

BTW I do believe it's time for Levy to move on, but to slate him like some do on here is symbolic of today's me me me, i want it now society.

Levy's short sighted investment policy tbf got us to a new training ground, new stadium, champs league final, has us down as 4th biggest net spenders since 2018 and invited to the European Super League (but none of you wanted in)......

I'd say we're pretty entrenched in the upper echelon of super clubs.

The problem really is you're too impatient to wait for the stadium to fully realise its revenue and potential.

Suppose we should have stayed at the old training ground and WHL, we were really kicking on and splashing out on superstars back then.

BTW I do believe it's time for Levy to move on, but to slate him like some do on here is symbolic of today's me me me, i want it now society.
Levy is, and always has been, successful at the running of the business side of the club. He just needs to empower someone on the football side to actually run that side of things - rebuild the scouting department, recruit the players, and sign the contracts within the budget that is sustainable for the club. No different that what Levy attempts to do, just more successfully because they know what the hell they're doing.

Levy's failure is either arrogance or fear of delegation. He needs to understand, admit, and own his limitations. Thats really it.

As you say, the amount of grief he gets is outsized. But some of it is certainly deserved.

The reality is, that after several undeniably poor transfer windows when money wasn't spent, in the last three years we have outspent nearly all our rivals. Have we spent that money well? sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Levy is the exact opposite of short-term, he's now the longest serving Chairman in the EPL and thinks in the long term all the time.

As a fan wanting cups and titles now, now, now we all find that very frustrating, but as a supporter wanting Spurs to become, for arguably the first time in our history, a sustainable elite European Super club, then patience is the key.

No question Levy is approaching a BIG summer window, isn't that the same every year, where keeping a top manager, retaining top players, and selling players to be replaced by better players all needs to happen.

But you can't pretend that financial doping isn't directly responsible for 50m players >>> 100m >>> 150m in transfer value, and that absolutely makes it harder for any club to refresh it's squad. Spurs have been as active and indeed more active than most in the last three years, let's hope with the money from the billion pound stadium investment now finally flowing that this investment on the pitch continues.

Some good constrictive posts in here lately, nature is starting to heal in this thread, I'm impressed TFC 👍
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

What thread are you reading?

Recruitment is the one undeniable fuck up of the last few years. We’re getting better at not selling our best assets but the buys have been so so poor.

Back
Top Bottom