Spurs v West Ham United Football Club - Sunday 20 March 16:30 (ON SKY IN THE UK)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kinda agree... The only helpful thing is the length of time it took them to do it!
Yep, players are conditioned to play 90 minutes. I always find it amazing that players all go down with cramp in extra time. Hopefully this gives us a big advantage in the second half.

They really are an awful team to watch, if Burnley played this way they’d be labelled as anti football, not sure why the mockneys avoid that label

Everyone on the edge of their own box soaking up pressure then just sling balls into the opposition box when they nick it/play for set pieces, mind numbing

If we can’t beat teams like this we don’t deserve fourth

Their travails, extra time and big result in Europe last night is no harm at all ahead of Sunday. They’ll be tired and will find it hard to come back down to earth. During our knock out run in 2019, we ended up mostly with away games in the league next game after facing Dortmund, Citeh and Ajax.

We lost them all too with some truly awful performances - Burnley, Southampton, Citeh, Bournemouth.

Yes, West Ham (WorstSpanners? We deserve to lose on Sunday just for that) play a style of football that isn’t particularly pleasing to the eye - bit like Jose’s low block. But they are hard working, well drilled, deadly in set piece situations and posses a few game changers. Who knows what effect 120mins and then a win will have on them? I wouldn’t read too much into it and the fact that Spurs fans are already obsessing over it merely highlights our teams schizophrenic tendencies.

On last night. Good luck to West Ham. Looked like the whole stadium and players were bouncing around all night. They’ve taken the Europa League seriously and have been rewarded.

Of course, I won’t be so charitable on Sunday. Unsure if it’s still their ‘cup final’ or not? Maybe they’ve moved on??? If the LC game in December is anything to go by, expect the area to be awash in flat caps and Stone Island with some Essex boys flat on their backs…

On last night. Good luck to West Ham. Looked like the whole stadium and players were bouncing around all night. They’ve taken the Europa League seriously and have been rewarded.

Of course, I won’t be so charitable on Sunday. Unsure if it’s still their ‘cup final’ or not? Maybe they’ve moved on??? If the LC game in December is anything to go by, expect the area to be awash in flat caps and Stone Island with some Essex boys flat on their backs…
Good luck you say? I don't remember them wishing us luck on our journey to the CL Final....
...and talking of which, rewarded??
I thought actually winning it was the only reward for taking a competition seriously... otherwise you're also-rans and your best player should leave....
well, that's according to the media when WE were 'rewarded' by Liverpool for reaching the CL Final!

Good luck you say? I don't remember them wishing us luck on our journey to the CL Final....
...and talking of which, rewarded??
I thought actually winning it was the only reward for taking a competition seriously... otherwise you're also-rans and your best player should leave....
well, that's according to the media when WE were 'rewarded' by Liverpool for reaching the CL Final!

I like to think I’m patronising West Ham by occasionally wishing them well - a virtual Pat on the head of you like - thus emphasising that they come a distant third, behind Woolwich and Chelsea in our rivalries…

‘Rewarded’ - point taken 1882 but was maybe jealous of the sort of nights we used to have in European competition

Their travails, extra time and big result in Europe last night is no harm at all ahead of Sunday. They’ll be tired and will find it hard to come back down to earth. During our knock out run in 2019, we ended up mostly with away games in the league next game after facing Dortmund, Citeh and Ajax.

We lost them all too with some truly awful performances - Burnley, Southampton, Citeh, Bournemouth.

Ref robbed us against Burnley.

I don't really recall the Southampton game.

The Man City game was a borefest and they snuck a 1-0. Neither team were brilliant. IIRC the highlight was Dele mugging City players off with multiple nutmegs. And this league game was straight after the CL game so they had no less rest than us.

During this period we moved into the new stadium, beat Palace, beat Huddersfield, beat Brighton. Palace and Brighton were dominant performances but had to really work for the wins.
Then came the almost inevitable home loss to West Ham, being the first team to beat us at the new stadium. Then Ajax beat us there.
These were the big phat warning signs to me that maybe Poch had run his course. We didn't look like we knew what to do anymore.

Bournemouth was a weird one. We played half the match with 9 men yet we never looked like losing until they scored late.

Summary - I think we were faltering for all types of reasons by then. Fatigue, CL hangovers, maybe Poch becoming complacent etc.

Kinda agree... The only vaguely helpful thing is the length of time it took them to do it!

They'll either be on a high (unhelpful) or SO distracted by their biggest game since 1981 that they totally take their eye off Sunday (here's hoping!)

... for the first time ever, this weekend kinda IS more of our Cup Final than theirs!

Absolutely spot on mate.

Beat them and their tilt for top 4 is over.

We absolutely need to both move the ball quickly but also to score first.

Son should absolutely not start the game in favour of Bergwijn or Moura.

Got to be at them early, get a lead and then be disciplined. Then after 60 mins and if up get Son onto the pitch.

Our last chance.

West Ham didn't look as bad as a lot of you are making out last night, I think you watched it with an opinion before a ball was kicked.

I watched about 50-60% of the game and West Ham were the only team in that game. They thoroughly deserved to win it and go through.
The good thing for us is they gave 110% all over the pitch and it will be hard to get over that and do it again on Sunday.

I saw 20 mins and they looked annoyingly decent, lots of energy and running off the ball.

They'll have certainly put more into that one than what we did the night before to snooze past Brighton.

Let's hope 2-0 v Sev is an outlier in front of a full house Euro tie under lights. They haven't put a really good performance together in PL or FA cup for a while.

We need an early goal. If we go behind we’re fucked. Our confidence is fragile and they’re isn’t. Their tails are up and they believe they belong above us and fighting for CL.

Setting aside us being WLWLWL FC, West Ham's current form, their exertions last night etc etc, what more motivation do we need than: 1) it's at home, 2) it's them lot, 3) it'll effectively put an end to their fanciful top 4 hopes, 4) it'll be a huge boost to our confidence by both putting an end to this WLWLWL and hopefully strengthening the run in and our own slim hopes of top 4, 5) it's them lot.

If that doesn't motivate the team to put in 110% then, I dunno, I'm out lol.

COYS

If we are losing in the 85th minute on Sunday I am going to cable tie myself to the goalpost with a 'no to Chelsea/Woolwich/West Ham' T-Shirt

Donald Duck Lol GIF

Gotta see that. See you Sunday then.

Back
Top Bottom