Handball law set to change

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Use VAR for offsides and red cards - scrap this bullshit

Revert handball to what it used to be
Clear intent and Ref decision at the time final
Gut decision and will probably be usually correct and you will get the odd mistake but got to be better than this

Dumbest idea ever those who suggest if it hits the hand regardless of intent a pen should be awarded. All you'll get is players deliberately trying to smash, clip, chip, whatever the ball against a defender. Great spectacle that will be. Wish people would think things through a bit.

Dumbest idea ever those who suggest if it hits the hand regardless of intent a pen should be awarded. All you'll get is players deliberately trying to smash, clip, chip, whatever the ball against a defender. Great spectacle that will be. Wish people would think things through a bit.
Who said this was about implementing a good idea for football? This is about administrators wishing to leave their mark on the game. Look at the earlier posts on TalkSport as to how Ellary want to change the game.

What's worse? The changes or the fact that nobody is standing up to call out the bullshit?

Revert handball to what it used to be
Clear intent and Ref decision at the time final
Gut decision and will probably be usually correct and you will get the odd mistake but got to be better than this
Trouble is will the FA have the courage to bow to pressure (which will surely come from all levels after this weekend) and do something immediately or try to save face and keep it going.
They've never exactly been keen to admit their mistakes but I pray for the sake of the game as we know it that they put their hands up this time (no pun intended) and sort this fucking mess out now.

Who said this was about implementing a good idea for football? This is about administrators wishing to leave their mark on the game. Look at the earlier posts on TalkSport as to how Ellary want to change the game.

What's worse? The changes or the fact that nobody is standing up to call out the bullshit?
Very true. I don't how the footballing people have allowed these crap rule changes to creep in. Us fans can only do so much, but there are football people with power who aren't doing their jobs to stop the twats in suits from coming up with the latest fad scheme and absurd, unnecessary tweak.

Trouble is will the FA have the courage to bow to pressure (which will surely come from all levels after this weekend) and do something immediately or try to save face and keep it going.
They've never exactly been keen to admit their mistakes but I pray for the sake of the game as we know it that they put their hands up this time (no pun intended) and sort this fucking mess out now.
The FA is full of wankers and always has been. What is more worrying is who is the driving force behind this change in FIFA.

Clearly football isn't dramatic enough, so the worldwide audience (that aren't used to entertaining 0-0 draws) need some encouragement

Very true. I don't how the footballing people have allowed these crap rule changes to creep in. Us fans can only do so much, but there are football people with power who aren't doing their jobs to stop the twats in suits from coming up with the latest fad scheme and absurd, unnecessary tweak.

We can hardly boycott the games at the moment.

If they're really going to persist with this fucking shit, maybe an indirect free kick given when it is deemed unintentional after review or something?

Otherwise it wasn't fucking broke, so why fix it? VAR alone would fix a lot of decisions that in the past would have been controversial re: handball. E.g. Maradona vs. England. Henry vs Ireland etc.

Still a bit raging.

Like Mark Bright and others have pointed out, the problem is as much with the way Premier League officials have been told to interpret the rule as with the rule itself. The law allows them to use some common sense but they are not doing it, or they can't do it just as likely. The Ref today was a disaster.

They just had a graphic on MOTD to show what has happened in Europe, where they had this rule in place last year.

Penalties as a result of handballs:

PL 19
LL 48
SA 57

La Liga and Serie A were both using the IFAB rules last season which the Prem have been pressured into adopting by FIFA this year.

This isn't going away. For some reason the people in charge of football think this is a good idea.

Seriously, it's time to start kicking the ball at hands/arms in the box. And appealing very obviously EVERY time.

They also picked out the fact that we (Spurs for the avoidance of doubt) have obviously been working on the problem by tucking hands behind the back in the area any time it looks like someone is going to take a shot. But how can you do that in Eric's situation.

I'm sanguine about it, it's what's happening. I don't like it one bit, but like many others have said, it's just another nail in the coffin of the game we fell in love with.

I might follow Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor 's example and go back to non-league where you can let the ref know exactly what you think of his decisions in person.

Like Mark Bright and others have pointed out, the problem is as much with the way Premier League officials have been told to interpret the rule as with the rule itself. The law allows them to use some common sense but they are not doing it, or they can't do it just as likely. The Ref today was a disaster.
Maybe the on field match officials have decided the best course of action for them is to take away that element of common sense themselves. And why not? If their every decision is going to be scrutinised in 4K @ 120fps then I can't say I blame them.

Speaking of resolution and frame rates, I've seen an image on that there Twitter of the VAR measuring of the offside decision for the handball "offence". It's blurry as fuck. I reckon each pixel must cover a good few centimetres, and they are trying to measure down to the millimetre. The technology just isn't ready for the way they are trying to use it unfortunately. It may be (definitely is) closer than the old system of trusting the ref/lino's eyesight and judgement, but it is also without a shadow of a doubt subjective. Which, in my eyes at least, renders it pretty pointless. Until technology gives a black and white 100% (e.g. goal line tech) I can't see the point. And I can't see that happening in my lifetime .

In the 1st 30 games of the PL last season there were 0 penalties awarded for handball.
This year there have already been 6 in the 26 games played so far.

I'm blaming Totti Totti as the thread starter.

They just had a graphic on MOTD to show what has happened in Europe, where they had this rule in place last year.

PL 19
LL 48
SA 57

La Liga and Serie A were both using the IFAB rules last season which the Prem have been pressured into adopting by FIFA this year.

This isn't going away. For some reason the people in charge of football think this is a good idea.

Seriously, it's time to start kicking the ball at hands/arms in the box. And appealing very obviously EVERY time.

They also picked out the fact that we (Spurs for the avoidance of doubt) have obviously been working on the problem by tucking hands behind the back in the area any time it looks like someone is going to take a shot. But how can you do that in Eric's situation.

I'm sanguine about it, it's what's happening. I don't like it one bit, but like many others have said, it's just another nail in the coffin of the game we fell in love with.

I might follow Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor 's example and go back to non-league where you can let the ref know exactly what you think of his decisions in person.

I don't see why the Premiership has to do what FIFA wants. It's an autonomous organization not under their jurisdiction isn't it?

I'm pretty sure our strikers are being told to start aiming at defender's arms now in the box if they can't hit the target, go for the arm. It's a sad inditement of what the game is becoming now.

PL 19
LL 48
SA 57

I actually enjoy it more than the Premier League. 10 min drive, £6 entry and you know that every £1 you spend at the club is appreciated. All in it is probably a £15 day out with a couple of discounted pints. The fact that the ground is immediately behind the best Indian Restaurant in East Sussex is a mere bonus.

Last edited:
It is NOT handball in the following circumstance... "when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body."

New Spurs Training Video...

giphy.gif

Nicely summed up in the Guardian:

Another week, another slew of spot-kicks given for the most negligible offences imaginable. It is clear that the new guidelines on handball have left the sport in an embarrassing mess, and it is hard to spot anyone who benefits: players are being penalised unfairly, fans are faced with an even more stop-start spectacle and referees are made to look like joyless jobsworths.

In a low-scoring sport, a penalty – ie a very probable goal – should only result from three things: an exceptional piece of skill, an exceptional mistake, or an exceptional stroke of luck. The International Football Association Board has managed to create a situation where crippling punishments are being doled out for nonexistent crimes, and unearned goals are being scored left, right and centre. Results are being warped, too: Spurs and Crystal Palace were both robbed of much-deserved points.

Quite why Ifab felt the need to meddle in the first place is anyone’s guess, but the drive of football’s bureaucrats to sap the sport of sense, spontaneity and simple enjoyment continues apace

Growing up, the first rule of handball was ALWAYS "is it intentional"?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with that.

FIFA are a shambles.

They have made everything over complex and shit. In terms of penalising it should always be like in court that it is obvious and clear, whether it be offside or a penalty or whatever. the idea that Dier intentionally tried stopping the ball with his arm is stupid.

the worse aspect is like how diving came in 20-30 years ago we will now have attackers shooting the ball at players arms every game if nothing is done. More cheating is the result of this law.

If we gonna have these stupid rules then we surely deserve to have the ref's mic'd up to actually hear the reasoning for shitty decisions. Also to be allowed to be interviewed by the press after a game.

Rules are dog shit but ref's have it too easy aswell.

Back
Top Bottom