Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The best way I can describe how I see it is that it's like Poch being asked every season to cook a beautiful dinner for the fans. He tries his best with what's available but Levy keeps coming back with only a few of the ingredients on his shopping list and also tries to save money sometimes by buying mutton instead of steak.
But what is available is still good enough to to challenge for the top 4 and win cups. The league is out no matter how many are signed. I agree that we need a couple of new players before the window ends but there is so much doom and gloom and I'm not saying it is you btw
I don't blame levy for paying a ridiculous amount for a player that is no guarantee to improve us who has had 1 good season in a side that finished 10th in la liga

It would piss me off if Eriksen went to Manure but I would be shocked if that happened - I don't think he wants to go there.

It’s annoying how common sense never comes into it....

Eriksen wants Real or Barca (maybe Juve or Bayern).

He doesn’t just want to leave Spurs for any one, as you say, I don’t think he wants United.

So SIGN A NEW DEAL!! But with a “4 club” clause buy out of £80m in it.

bumps up the wages for this year.
We’ll get the money next summer that realistically is the most we’d get this year. Can put in a “+£5m” per summer clause to protect inflation....

Anyone else get the feeling there's a three way deal going on

Utd spend Xm with Spurs for Eriksen - Spurs spend Ym with Sporting for Fernandes - Sporting gain Ym ... we get a 24 year old on a five year contract for a 27 year old on a one year contract for Ym minus Xm

Levy is just trying to make X and Y the same ................. get it done

Your a happy soul ain't you

Where did I say I was unhappy?
I listed facts. Not opinions. I didn't say any of them made me happy or sad.

What a pile of trope, I suppose he also fell on his feet with our world class training facilities and stadium ? Not to mention signing players like Eriksen , Dele , VDV and Toby for under 15m.

Absolute conjecture to say Levy ‘actually’ wanted LVG.... when he ‘did’ hire Poch.

ENIC and Levy has been fantastic for this club. Remember the 90s ?

What has our "world class training facility" got us so far? Fuck all.
The stadium has taken 20 years to deliver. It's incredible but how much of it was necessary? It could have been delivered 10 years sooner if he didn't keep changing the plans. We could have been seeing the benefit of if for years, but we've got it just at the point where it could all go tits up now.
Eriksen was signed with Bale money.
Dele, VDV and Toby were all oportunistic buys.
Tell me a time when Levy has really broken the bank and backed a manager.
So far this window we have Ndombele. No one knows how much actually cost, but lets be generous and say £60m
We've sold Trippier and Jansen for £30m
We still might sell Eriksen, Alderwiereld and Rose.
Lets see how much Levy has spent by the time all the windows are shut.

I think he is having a breakdown

Nope. Just pointing out facts. There's no meltdown. Just not living in the clouds like others.

What truths are they? We all wanted hoddle and wanted hoddle to succeed. Ramos had won trophies in spain so its not like a novice was hired. With all manager appointments and transfers there is no guarantee that they will work out and be a success

Hoddle that got sacked by England for being a batshit mental nut job?
Seems like a totally rational appointment. Turned out exactly that way when he started lording it up with all our players and alienated the squad.
I didn't want Jol sacked for a bloke from Spain who didn't speak a word of English. It was well known the set up at Saville was more about the director of football and scouts. Ramos just picked the team on a Saturday. He was TERRIBLE.
AVB was sacked after half a season of ridicule at Chelsea.

Literally all of Levy's first choices have been dismal. Fuck knows what he asks them in his interviews. It's the fall back options that succeeded.

So all the bad stuff was down to his decision making and anything good was blind luck...dunno about Levy ever getting too much credit, but I think you've gone a bit far in the other extreme...

Pretty much, year. Every time he tried to be creative, he got it wrong. Jol and Redknapp, our only 2 decent managers prior to Poch were emergency appointments. And he sacked both to replace them with utter pillocks.

Looks like you've hit the ground running. As if we didn't have enough whiners...

Welcome.

I can't help it if some people want to wander through life pretending the world is fun.

If you believe we're signing anyone before Thursday without players leaving, I think you might need help

I don't think anyone thought we were title contenders going into the 2016/17 season, but we had a settled squad and virtually no injury issues. We lost out to a team that had no european football to contend with and also a freak season in terms of lack of injuries. The next season City broke the PL points record, so no matter how much we improved, we'd have never caught them. Last year we would have probably done much better had we not had the injury issues.

So our "subtle demise", as you call it, was not so much due to lack of transfer activity, but more a case of unfortunate circumstances that you cannot legislate for. I would wager that, even with a normal amount of injuries this season, we should easily finish 3rd with about 80 points.

Can we be title contenders? Probably not, as long as City have Pep and two quality players for each position. So our goal should be to maintain ourselves in the top 4 and wait for the opportunity to pounce when one of the dominant teams falls away a bit. In 15/16 we were not ready yet, but in future years we should be well poised to do that and one transfer window is not going to make the difference.
I have to disagree in part. Unlucky to some degree, I suppose. But there is a direct link in being unlucky due to injury, and not spending any money in the transfer window to cover said injuries. You can always legislate for injuries, because football is a tough contact sport, and these players’ bodies are being pushed to the limit. You hope you don’t have any, but they are a factor of football. Title winning teams have had injuries, but often have the squad to back that up.

Maintaining top 4 doesn’t scream ambition to me. I feel the club owes it to itself to take advantage of the manager we have, and the few exceptional player and in our team and build on them. I don’t want to turn into an Woolwich fan, elated with another top 4 finish. I want success. To win. Hard to see success with little/no transfer activity over the last 4 windows.

But how about not selling him and letting him run his contract down?

Genuinely think selling him to UTD would be significantly worse.

He would absolutely improve a side that our direct rivals and throw off the structure of our squad. He would be such a could acquisition for them.

We should take the risk and flog him to Real in the next couple of weeks.

He would absolutely improve a side that our direct rivals and throw off the structure of our squad. He would be such a could acquisition for them.

He doesn't want to go to United....and Real Madrid won't buy him...

Can see it now , we turn down the only bid for Eriksen from United and then he signs for them in the summer for nothing :pochfacepalm: :pochlol:

I’m pretty worried about what’s going to happen over the next two days. Right now as it stands we have a lot of question marks over the squad.

We’re extremely light at right back and if we have ambitions to win something this year than we can’t be going into the season with an underdone Aurier, an injured Foyth and an experienced Walker-Peters.

The contracts of Alderweireld, Eriksen and potentially Vertonghen could prove a nuisance in the locker room. Especially the Eriksen contract, I think if we can sell him right now for a decent fee (40-50m) we should take it and sign Bruno Fernandes (if he really is willing to join).

On top of the Eriksen saga, we’re definitely light one midfielder (perhaps two of Eriksen leaves). We seriously struggled against any team that pressed us last season and we lack genuine press breakers, by press breakers I mean someone who can take a touch or dribble to move the ball past the first line of a press. Ndombele definitely improves this area and a fit Winks also can help but it’s not enough if we want to be pushing for a title this season, I think Lo Celso is perfect for this role and I’ll be disappointed if we didn’t sign him. I’ve seen him play against Milan in Europa League twice and seriously tear them apart both times, he’s the real deal.

Hopefully we can get the Sessegnon deal over the line as I feel he’s a great understudy for Rose, also can cover multiple positions and is homegrown.

Let’s get ready for a stressful 48-50 hours, I’m looking forward to when this is all over. Its been exhausting with all these sagas we’ve had this summer. COYS!

Agree 100%.

Let him run down his contract over selling him to any English club.

When I think about the whole Sessengon thing I can’t help but wonder how it’s an upgrade on what we already have with Rose or even Davies. He had 1 excellent season in the championship and then did sweet FA in the prem. looks lightweight to me as well...whole thing is a little underwhelming...#justsaying 🤷🏻‍♂️

We have a little over 55 hours mate, with no reported fees agreed, no medicals booked.

It will be a miracle if we sign anyone. . .
The amount of deals that happen deadline day with everything still needing to happen, it’s doable. Depending what reports you read, I know some are pure garbage, Lo Celso, Fernandes and Sessengon have all agreed terms. Just a price to finalise. Medicals are the easiest bit.

I still have faith, kind of.

I wouldn't hesitate to sell Eriksen to United personally. I don't think he'd be a great player for them. He wouldn't be happy there and would spend his time writing begging letters to Zidane to come and rescue him.

Sell him and spend the money on BF then we've come out of it well.

Since it worked last time and we actually signed someone I am going to do it again, I am willing to make a £10 bet with the forum that we will not sign anybody else.

Even Sess who I have been assured has already signed and needless to say, if my mate is wrong I am never asking him for transfer details again because it's embarrassing as fuck.

Back
Top Bottom