Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On the topic of Serge.
He arrives today and will start getting used to the club and his teammates per Poch's press conference.

On the topic of Serge.
He arrives today and will start getting used to the club and his teammates per Poch's press conference.
He's giving him an extra week to master his new handshakes before being let out the cage.

giphy.gif

0Oyph6R.gif

Shit's going down.

I'll happily shout "GET UP YOU POOF". This doesn't make me homophobic. It doesn't make the word homophobic. If I were using it as a term to cause distress to a homosexual, then it's homophobic.
It's not just about you and what you think though is it? Basically your argument is about context. Well, what about this context, in your example "Poof" is being used by a straight man to describe the supposed weak and effeminate behaviour of another (in this case a player making a meal of something). In other words it is being used to target a perceived negative trait. While you may not intend it, how do you know there aren't gay men in the crowd who would feel you're equating homosexuality with weakness?

It's not just about you and what you think though is it? Basically your argument is about context. Well, what about this context, in your example "Poof" is being used by a straight man to describe the supposed weak and effeminate behaviour of another (in this case a player making a meal of something). In other words it is being used to target a perceived negative trait. While you may not intend it, how do you know there aren't gay men in the crowd who would feel you're equating homosexuality with weakness?

Yes it is all about me. It's my opinion on what is and isn't acceptable. As it is whenever anyone says anything in public or writes anything in a forum.

I say "Jesus Christ" if I stub my toe. It may offend nearby Christians. I can't care about that I'm afraid.

Incidentally, you assume I'm straight. What lead you to that? I might well be a gay man that's offended at being called straight.

Yes it is all about me. It's my opinion on what is and isn't acceptable. As it is whenever anyone says anything in public or writes anything in a forum.

I say "Jesus Christ" if I stub my toe. It may offend nearby Christians. I can't care about that I'm afraid.

Incidentally, you assume I'm straight. What lead you to that? I might well be a gay man that's offended at being called straight.
200.webp

You sound like a broken record. If you had an ounce of shame in your body you would quit this forum for good.
I must say I am enjoying how you've shoehorned yourself into this and #ended yourself.

Sublime.

I like how you've stopped giving me kisses since I started mocking you about it. Embarrassed? What was that about shame?

If you were gay you would've said it. You wouldn't have set out reasoning why you're not homophobic.

What I find troubling is this idea that it doesn't matter if you say something potentially bigoted as long as you've deemed it ok.

We talked about context. Tell me, if a couple of black blokes refer to each other with the N word with friendly ribbing then there's a context for you. Now compare it to a white man who shouts at a black footballer "get up ya big n****r!" in a jokey fashion. Would you say it would be acceptable for him to then tell a black member of the watching crowd that it was okay because "it was a friendly dig and it doesn't mean I'm racist"?

Aside from the moral elements and decent conduct, are you aware that there are actually laws on this? Public conduct isn't just about you deciding you didn't mean to be offensive, it's about how those around you would perceive something to be offensive and you doing something you know others might find offensive. I bet you wouldn't dare do the N word example I set out above, and would probably admonish someone who did for being racist. But you've also decided that you can use homosexual slang in a negative context and if anyone else has a problem with it, tough shit, they can go to hell. That's incrediobly inconsistent.

If you were gay you would've said it. You wouldn't have set out reasoning why you're not homophobic.

What I find troubling is this idea that it doesn't matter if you say something potentially bigoted as long as you've deemed it ok.

We talked about context. Tell me, if a couple of black blokes refer to each other with the N word with friendly ribbing then there's a context for you. Now compare it to a white man who shouts at a black footballer "get up ya big n****r!" in a jokey fashion. Would you say it would be acceptable for him to then tell a black member of the watching crowd that it was okay because "it was a friendly dig and it doesn't mean I'm racist"?

Aside from the moral elements and decent conduct, are you aware that there are actually laws on this? Public conduct isn't just about you deciding you didn't mean to be offensive, it's about how those around you would perceive something to be offensive and you doing something you know others might find offensive. I bet you wouldn't dare do the N word example I set out above, and would probably admonish someone who did for being racist. But you've also decided that you can use homosexual slang in a negative context and if anyone else has a problem with it, tough shit, they can go to hell. That's incrediobly inconsistent.
Of course it's inconsistent. That's human nature. There's no way I'd use the N word ever, not because I wouldn't dare, but because I don't think it's the right thing to do. In the same way I'll use the word "shit" in front of my parents, but not the word "cunt". Excuse me for inconsistent swearing.

And I'd never defend anyone else in a crowd using any kind of language. It's nothing to do with me what he does or does not believe is acceptable. What would you do? Your severe stance on right and wrong suggests you'd challenge him, physically if necessary. It would you mutter under your breath and leave it at that? You attack me on a forum, so I have to assume you'd do the same to this individual. You'd not want to be inconsistent would you?

Of course it's inconsistent. That's human nature. There's no way I'd use the N word ever, not because I wouldn't dare, but because I don't think it's the right thing to do. In the same way I'll use the word "shit" in front of my parents, but not the word "cunt". Excuse me for inconsistent swearing.

And I'd never defend anyone else in a crowd using any kind of language. It's nothing to do with me what he does or does not believe is acceptable. What would you do? Your severe stance on right and wrong suggests you'd challenge him, physically if necessary. It would you mutter under your breath and leave it at that? You attack me on a forum, so I have to assume you'd do the same to this individual. You'd not want to be inconsistent would you?
You've just equated saying the N-word to swearing in front of your parents?

This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen.

Trust me, if someone used the N-word at Spurs, they'd get challenged. By many. You absolute halfwit.

My severe stance? "Attack you"? Hyperbole much? I putting things to you for thought and consideration. If you feel uncomfortable about what I'm saying maybe there is a reason why? If you want to think I would physically assault someone screaming bigoted remarks in public, well that's your bag. I don't resort to unnecessary violence.

Also, don't you think there is something inherently flawed in comparing profanity to bigotry?

My severe stance? "Attack you"? Hyperbole much? I putting things to you for thought and consideration. If you feel uncomfortable about what I'm saying maybe there is a reason why? If you want to think I would physically assault someone screaming bigoted remarks in public, well that's your bag. I don't resort to unnecessary violence.

Also, don't you think there is something inherently flawed in comparing profanity to bigotry?
I'm not uncomfortable. I thought we were having a discussion. I should have known better than to engage. We differ in our opinions, so let's leave it there shall we?

Back
Top Bottom