Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have this feeling that Marcus Edwards is going to be a revelation this season (could be what I'm smoking). I had the weirdest dream that we won the league and he won PFA young player of the year. I just wanted to post this here incase I'm right and then I can come back and claim to be a footballing psychic, nay footballing wizard. :kaneear:

I have this feeling that Marcus Edwards is going to be a revelation this season (could be what I'm smoking). I had the weirdest dream that we won the league and he won PFA young player of the year. I just wanted to post this here incase I'm right and then I can come back and claim to be a footballing psychic, nay footballing wizard. :kaneear:

People said all this last year too. I have a feeling for the next 3-4 years people will be saying this every year.

He won't breakthrough this year, I don't think he's going to be ready to do so until he's about 21/22 based on what I've seen from him from a Physical point of view. If he's smart he'll keep beavering away, keep developing and learning, get training with the first team and take his chance when the manager feels he is ready.

With Pochettino stating what he has about him so far he really should be patient and keep plugging away. It's a lot easier to score against boys than it is men and once Marcus is dominating the age group he's in at the moment he'll get promoted and so forth until he's got all the tools required to be a Premier League player.

He's still a couple of years away from that possibly, but I don't see this year being his breakout year unless he seriously kicks on or we get an injury that takes him up a notch or two

He won't breakthrough this year, I don't think he's going to be ready to do so until he's about 21/22 based on what I've seen from him from a Physical point of view. If he's smart he'll keep beavering away, keep developing and learning, get training with the first team and take his chance when the manager feels he is ready.

With Pochettino stating what he has about him so far he really should be patient and keep plugging away. It's a lot easier to score against boys than it is men and once Marcus is dominating the age group he's in at the moment he'll get promoted and so forth until he's got all the tools required to be a Premier League player.

He's still a couple of years away from that possibly, but I don't see this year being his breakout year unless he seriously kicks on or we get an injury that takes him up a notch or two

To be honest your probably right, but I will tell you why I think (and hope) you might be wrong. On deadline day, and actually all through the window, fans and pundits alike have been crying out for spurs to get a pacey, skillfull, dynamic attacker. We can all see that a bit of pace and dynamism is all that's missing from our attack. We don't have anybody that runs at defences and frightens the opposition with speed. Now just assume that Poch feels the same way(it's a stretch but could be true), and that he identified this as a problem.

The only feasible options we have that can do this are GKN and Marcus Edwards. I believe we are hoping one of these two comes good through out this year. There must be a reason he decided not to go on loan. He must have had some sort of talk with poch in which he was told he would get a chance. Marcus Edwards is far from the finished article, but we have seen it before with young Harry Kane's and Delli Ali's that if he gets thrown in and performs, he will have an immediate future in the first team. I honestly think he is a brilliant option from the bench and may really kick on this year if he is given the chance.

To be honest your probably right, but I will tell you why I think (and hope) you might be wrong. On deadline day, and actually all through the window, fans and pundits alike have been crying out for spurs to get a pacey, skillfull, dynamic attacker. We can all see that a bit of pace and dynamism is all that's missing from our attack. We don't have anybody that runs at defences and frightens the opposition with speed. Now just assume that Poch feels the same way(it's a stretch but could be true), and that he identified this as a problem.

The only feasible options we have that can do this are GKN and Marcus Edwards. I believe we are hoping one of these two comes good through out this year. There must be a reason he decided not to go on loan. He must have had some sort of talk with poch in which he was told he would get a chance. Marcus Edwards is far from the finished article, but we have seen it before with young Harry Kane's and Delli Ali's that if he gets thrown in and performs, he will have an immediate future in the first team. I honestly think he is a brilliant option from the bench and may really kick on this year if he is given the chance.

I reckon if we had signed Sancho off of Man a city that he'd have been closer to the first team than Edwards. I think Sancho is a better player and whilst I'd love to see Edwards crack it at Spurs, I get the feeling he'll come up short. I'd absolutely love to see him play and start in all of the League Cup games and think that's the best he'll get out of his season. A run in the U23's and League Cup starts will be a successful year for our hopeful.

I think Edwards is the kind of forward thinking kid who wants his breakthrough season to be our first in the new stadium... all the glory, AND an ideal backdrop to do it in!

MARCUS EDWARDS: PFA Young player of the year 2018/2019!!

I think Edwards is the kind of forward thinking kid who wants his breakthrough season to be our first in the new stadium... all the glory, AND an ideal backdrop to do it in!

MARCUS EDWARDS: PFA Young player of the year 2018/2019!!

I'd love to see it, I really would. I just think he has a lot more to learn and add to his raw potential before we see it. I worry that if he gets dropped into the first team too soon that his moment will come and go as you only really get one breakthrough moments at a club and the timing needs to be right (Bale only got his 2nd chance with us because of an injury to BAE)

I trust Pochettino will see he has so much class and I trust Poch will feed him into the team when the moments right for him and us on the pitch. If it's this year, fucking quality, if not then hopefully it'll be another time. Edwards clearly wants to test himself in the first team. With an attitude like that I'd start him in every League Cup game and tell him to prove to me that the Premier League isn't too much too soon

Hard to predict when he will break through but if he keeps scoring good goals for club and country tthen it wont go unnoticed.

Good to see he's started his season very strongly.

This sort of thing could actually be a good kick up the arse for England.. thankfully it won't be one of ours though.

Hopefully Dortmund get the best out of Sancho.
Sending him with a buy back or on loan in the summer, assuming he doesn't grow in a hurry this year, wouldn't be the worst idea? Ajax has proven they can develop players that are very successful with the way Spurs play. Be a step up in competition from what he'll get in the matches he plays at Spurs without being thrown to the wolves with the physicality of the Prem. If they can develop Eriksen they can develop Edwards.

The only thing that really stops me believing in Edwards is what happened with Oduwa. Guy had ridiculous skill and speed but somehow didn't manage to improve after his first few games at rangers. Where even is he now?

Don't really see the point of sending him to Ajax. He wouldn't get a game. In that case, what's the point? Because they "develop youth"? So do we.

I hope he gets sent out on loan in Jan or next year, somewhere he can start game after game like Onomah at Villa.

The only thing that really stops me believing in Edwards is what happened with Oduwa. Guy had ridiculous skill and speed but somehow didn't manage to improve after his first few games at rangers. Where even is he now?
Fair, but Edwards has been hyped up for a lot longer than Oduwa. He's a lot more skilled than Oduwa on the ball. Speed only gets you so far. Edwards has been getting Mbappe like hype from his youth, so if he manages to realise his potential, expect him to be labelled England's next saviour!

Back
Top Bottom