Tottenham Hotspur v Chelscum - FA Cup Semi Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely gutted, we didn't deserve to lose and certainly not 4-2. Dodgy refereeing and a peculiar move putting Son at LB. I hope we recuperate and come to Palace up for it, last time around Chelsea broke our spirit.

Onward and upward COYS

Not much you can do....
Well, you could not play an attacking midfielder who can't defend at left back, not step to your right when you're covering the left of the goal, not slide in like a loon and give the winger 10 minutes to decide to fall over your leg and not leave arguably the best player in the league unmarked in acres of space at a corner

Well, this has been a huge test for us and we failed miserably. There isn't a positive to take from this game. We have a full season ahead of us in Wembley and our first season in our new stadium, which probably means that we are not going to see any title in the next two and a half years.

There have been a few individual mistakes and Chelsea had plenty of luck... but Son as a left wingback was one of the dumbest decision Poch has ever made. Like, really, really... I just don't get what the point of that was...

Well, you could not play an attacking midfielder who can't defend at left back, not step to your right when you're covering the left of the goal, not slide in like a loon and give the winger 10 minutes to decide to fall over your leg and not leave arguably the best player in the league unmarked in acres of space at a corner
That's where my 'Poch got the starting lineup wrong' comment comes in.

Not sure how it's Hugo's fault. He was unsighted. Not sure why we don't put a man on the post. From where was it wasn't even a free kick. Stupid sliding tackle for their pen.. hard enough to beat em without them getting two gifts like that.

Not having a go at Hugo as I love the guy but he set up the wall then just before the free kick came in he moved one step to the right leaving a gap and with the unlucky deflection it went in
If he had stood his ground he would have probably saved it
Margins are so fine but it was an error

Did you watch the Liverpool game? Mane tore him a new one. Davies cant handle pace at all.

Yea I did watch that game and remember it well. As you know, football is a team sport and the team defended very poorly as a unit for the first 25' that day. As I recall, Mane was only able to get Davies in somewhat of isolation due to our midfield giving possession away cheaply in bad areas. Davies is still a much, much better defender than Son and I think would have been a smarter choice in the starting lineup today.

Conte is a clever shit. He put on his runners to press us and harass us in the first half like Liverpool and City did. They got 2 goals out of it. Then when we had the momentum, they sat back defending deep, and let us have the ball, so we play the hapless hero, huffing and puffing but never getting close to the winning goal. Then he brings on fresh attackers to deliver the killer touch as we were running out of ideas and getting tired.

We have to face the fact that too often the big teams in the big matches have figured us out. We can have plenty of easy possession in front of the opposition and feel like we deserved more just based on that, but that attitude wont get us anywhere. We gotta be faster on the counter attack. Several times today, we were in a counter attacking situation but the ball out then the first touch were poor and that slowed everything down enough for Chelsea to get everyone back behind the ball again. That one-touch passing plus explosive running power up front still elude us.

We have some shit to figure out in the summer.

So perhaps what you're saying Gorgeous shd have started rather than Sonny?

Valid point imo

Yes Hugo and Son made mistakes. Yes, perhaps the ref could have given us a penalty. Maybe Poch made an error picking Son. But we were the better side by far. We are playing the league leaders and they are a team full of top quality talent. They nicked it by virtue of extremely good individual talent. Sometimes that's just the way it is in football, especially at the top. Had it been any other side we would likely have won. So can we maybe therefore stop looking for people to blame?

I doubt we'll win the league, but hopefully we will finish 2nd on a record points total and that's a massive, massive step forward for our club. As gutted as I am, the more minutes that pass the harder I find it to be in any way disappointed with the way the lads have performed for us this season. It's only a matter of time before silverware comes.

Last edited:
Yes- they tried to press us at the start, but, I would say it was more down to our poor passing around midfield than their brilliant play. I agree though that they managed the game well once they got ahead and that Conte timed his double substitution very well. Costa I thought was shit but Hazard of course was a difference maker.
That shit passing happens when we are put under pressure by their forwards. The likes of Pedro and Willian are horrible pests to deal with, cause they are in your face and you know in the back your mind if they win the ball they can run with it and make something happen. If Eriksen or Dele win the ball off someone they don't consistently make something happen with it, like carry it a long way then win a foul or penalty or play someone into the box. We take too many touches and look around for help, instead of being efficient with those precious moments of having green grass behind the opposition to exploit.

I need to watch that game again with no alcohol to make an informed judgement on our performance.

My initial reaction is that we gifted them the match :

Two silly challenges for their first two goals.
Hazard left completely unmarked on the edge of the box = suicide
Absolute worldy from Matic who was probably going for bottom right .... lucky fucker

Ah well. Semi final and 2nd in the league is not to be sniffed at I suppose :(

cue Spurs finishing 3rd in a two horse race.

*cries*
*orders vindaloo*
*shits himself*
*spursy*

Can people stop saying this "shit decision to play Son a wingback" if it'd have worked, you'd have called Poch a genius. It was a bad decision from Son to slide like that in the box, but Moses dives like a cunt. Of course, when it was our turn, Atkinson fucks it up and doesn't give us a pen. Chelsea decided to defend with 10 men until they scored their third and that says a lot about them. Cunts.

That shit passing happens when we are put under pressure by their forwards. The likes of Pedro and Willian are horrible pests to deal with, cause they are in your face and you know in the back your mind if they win the ball they can run with it and make something happen. If Eriksen or Dele win the ball off someone they don't consistently make something happen with it, like carry it a long way then win a foul or penalty or play someone into the box. We take too many touches and look around for help, instead of being efficient with those precious moments of having green grass behind the opposition to exploit.

Totally agree with what you've said here- I just think the team still has to recognize that this is happening and move the ball better/faster/have men get open to receive the ball in order to defeat it. Basically, we should be able to deal with this scenario, having seen it many times before.

Yea I did watch that game and remember it well. As you know, football is a team sport and the team defended very poorly as a unit for the first 25' that day. As I recall, Mane was only able to get Davies in somewhat of isolation due to our midfield giving possession away cheaply in bad areas. Davies is still a much, much better defender than Son and I think would have been a smarter choice in the starting lineup today.
I just dont think I've ever seen Davies play good in a big match.

I respectfully disagree- Davies has been in plenty good form recently. We had the formula against them down pat based on our last league match and didn't need to change the plan at all. Why Poch thought he needed to do so is a bit of a mystery to me.

Davies cost us goals against Swansea and Liverpool. In the other games he played the opposition didn't have the pace and quality to exploit his lack of pace. Any decent team we play will target him.

Back
Top Bottom